Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Flop a joint, river pairs board

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($60.45)
Hero ($200)
UTG ($144.10)
MP ($85.15)
CO ($93.60)
Button ($31.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, UTG calls $9, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($28) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22</font>, UTG calls $22.

River: ($72) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero????

Should I:

a) Check/Call
b) Bet/Fold
c) Bet/Call
Old 10-21-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Flop a joint, river pairs board

Bet/ Call i think your good here more often than not. A Heart would have scared me more...
Old 10-21-2005, 12:15 PM

Check call.

His most likely holding is missed hearts, maybe with something a little extra (like a six, which is why bet folding is less than optimal. He could easily raise with trips here (I would)). He could also have some random ten, 109, 88, an overpair. All these hands would likely call $20, and might well check behind. I think it is very unlikely you are behind. I do not see many players waiting til the river with a set these days, and two pair with a six seems rather unlikely. Also 99 and 10-10 could very well raise preflop.

So, check call.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:15 PM

I think I'm going with the $40-$50 bet and a fold to a push.

But, then I could be a moron because I have to still work on my blocking bet delivery.

-Gryph
Old 10-21-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check call.

I hate that you open him up for a huge bluff there. At this level people constantly push when they miss their flush. Your also usally ahead here. I bet 50 and consider calling an all in depending on how wild this player is. By betting your sending a message that your strong and a player contemplating a push for a missed flush will give it up most times....
Old 10-21-2005, 12:24 PM

I think I bet $50. I don't know if I'm good enough to lay this down. IMO, a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is scarier than the 6.

What hand ranges do you put villan on? I think he has maybe A10,[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]draw, maybe a pair+gutshot(ie. 88), or something like that. I would think a set would raise somewhere in this draw heavy board, but I could be wrong.

Are there any reads on UTG? I could see checking to induce a bluff ok here, granted that he will bet most of the times when checked to. Keeps the pot more under control. I think you miss some value with the c/c, which is why I think bet/call is better.

Well played otherwise.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check call.

I hate that you open him up for a huge bluff there. At this level people constantly push when they miss their flush. Your also usally ahead here. I bet 50 and consider calling an all in depending on how wild this player is. By betting your sending a message that your strong and a player contemplating a push for a missed flush will give it up most times....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would you want your opponent to know how strong you are? If checking is going to induce him to make a big bluff I see that as only a good thing. I also suspect players do not usually bluff 2x the pot all in this spot very often, but I am unfamiliar with the game so it COULD be possible.

Note, there is definitely value in betting this river since you are ahead so often, I just feel that you are going to make more by inducing hearts to bluff or a good ten to value bet.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:29 PM

Unless you have any info on the player, bet/call or check/call are the only options and both are to induce a raise.
EDIT:

To expound. The ONLY hand you should be worried about is a 66, seing as how a 99 or 1010 would raise PF. But with the second 6, its very doubtful, and when you consider he didn't re-raise you on the flop or turn, its virtually a non-issue. With three other players left to act, only a moron wouldn't raise a set on a highly coordinated flop like that. You're good, try to get all his money. Best bet, since he is most likely to have a busted flush draw, is to check and hope he bets. Assuming he has a busted draw, most any bet will put him to fold.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:40 PM

I would either c/c or bet/call, depending on how often this opponent has a missed draw here, and how often he ould bluff if he does.
The 6 really doesn't scare me that much, I think a set probably raises either the flop or turn, and seeing as he's UTG, a goofy 2 pair hand (like T6) is extremely unlikely.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 PM

I like a 1/3 bet here (I also aggree that hero is very likely to be ahead here) because it might induce a raise from missed flush or somthing, or be called by some Ten.