Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Coburn Amendment Fails

Senate Comes to Halt in Battle of Bridges

WASHINGTON - In a clash of generations and political philosophy, 37-year Senate veteran Ted Stevens of Alaska told a freshman colleague that he would resign and "be taken out of here on a stretcher" if the Senate killed funding for two Alaskan bridges.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Coburn Amendment Fails

[ QUOTE ]

WASHINGTON - In a clash of generations and political philosophy, 37-year Senate veteran Ted Stevens of Alaska told a freshman colleague that he would resign and "be taken out of here on a stretcher" if the Senate killed funding for two Alaskan bridges.

[/ QUOTE ]

That so embarrassing when the governing legislative body gets in a huff because someone is questioning specific spending projects. That's inane.

Bravo to Coburn for at least trying...

-Gryph
Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 AM

I think this ought to generate a spectacular LTE/write your congressman drive. This is embarassing on both sides of the aisle....
Old 10-21-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this ought to generate a spectacular LTE/write your congressman drive. This is embarassing on both sides of the aisle....

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It just funny that they actualyl came out and said, "What are you doing, we've always agreed to not question each other..." Stupid. I hope the the MSM jumps all over this.

-Gryph
Old 10-21-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But in the tradition-bound Senate, Coburn was taking on an unwritten rule that one senator does not attack the projects sought by another.

"I've been here now almost 37 years," Stevens said. "This is the first time I have seen any attempt of any senator to treat my state in a way different from any other state."

[/ QUOTE ]

I for one am outraged that Coburn would dare to impinge upon the time-honored right to wasteful pork projects and break their complicitous cartel that relies upon delivering pork to keep their jobs!

We are in big trouble.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:18 PM

I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulation Coburn for good intentions. I realize that he's a reactionary conservative on a lot of issues, but it's important to recognize when someone on the other side of the aisle takes risks to try to help the country.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another flaming example of President Bush pandering to left-wing intellectual elites.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:39 PM

stevens is a total disgrace. He is mr. pork barrel. What I find hilarious is that when anybody says they will quit in a huff and throw a big hissy fit, the response is to simply do what they don't want done. Any self respecting republican should have voted for the amendment once that loser stevens threatened to quit. Should have been 98-2 with a nice card saying thanks for the resignation. Stevens is the worst re: spending.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stevens is a total disgrace. He is mr. pork barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

You’ve obviously never heard of this porker
Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Ted Stevens = ScumBag

Ted Stevens is the scumbag senator that got the US tax payers to pay for a $1.5M bus stop in Alaska. I would have love for him to resign so that we could get a REAL conservative in the Senate for the state of Alaska. There is NOTHING in the US Constitution that gives the Senate the authority to use federal dollars on a bus stop. You can't claim this is covered by use the interstate commerce clause because I don't think anyone was using this bus stop for interstate commerce.....

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...s_stop?mode=PF