Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 07:45 AM

Default ..sklansky: why not attack prayer??

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] out of all religious practices and beliefs that are attackable by a logical, reasoning atheist; why not attack the obvious absurdity of prayer??

huh?

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: ..sklansky: why not attack prayer??

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] out of all religious practices and beliefs that are attackable by a logical, reasoning athiest ; why not attack the obvious absurdity of prayer??

huh?

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
So which is it? Is your objection with prayer logical and reasoned, or does your objection rest on the fact that the idea sounds absurd?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:40 AM

He has. That is his biggest “complaint”. That is prayers for God’s intercession. He doesn’t thinks it works that way. (He might be on to something there. But it doesn’t make prayers moot, nor other prayers irrelevant.)
Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM

Close your eyes, bow your head and use the search function.

chez
Old 10-17-2005, 02:00 PM

As an atheist, given that people have created religions, prayer seems like a perfectly logical part of them:

"This so called "new religion" is nothing but a pack of weird rituals and chants designed to take away the money of fools. Let us say the Lord's prayer 40 times, but first let's pass the collection plate!"
Reverend Lovejoy

On a serious note, frequent prayer must have a brainwashing effect so if you wanted a religion to last I think it would be necessary.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:15 PM

Frequent prayer has no brainwashing effect, its just words... if you want brainwashing, try the U.S. Army (I did, and even Pavlov would have been appalled).

Prayer has a placebo effect.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:05 PM

why do you have to attack and destroy? if people get solace, comfort or even strength from prayer, let them pray. who is to say getting on one's knees or bowing ones head and saying words to an imgainary being by itself isnt grounds for giving one hope on a dreary day or strength when they are weak. placebo or not, a positive effect is had, regardless of the "deity's" role in it all
Old 10-17-2005, 07:45 PM

Because by posting on this forum, people are saying that they would like to debate their beliefs (usually by proxy), and this is just another example.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because by posting on this forum, people are saying that they would like to debate their beliefs (usually by proxy), and this is just another example.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for the atheists - they say there is no debate. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 08:03 PM

Haha, nah, I think there is a debate, but there is no point for a debate. I would stake my entire poker br that there has not been one single convert during the run of this forum.

This forum could be renamed "Overthinking things".

I joke I joke, but seriously. I do it too, so I can't complain