Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 04:31 PM

Default AA hand

Dont know anything about the PFR except he likes to raise.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 10-12-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: AA hand

Hi Beavis,

I think you're in big trouble here. I hope I'm wrong.

IF I was going to play A A 5 behind an UTG call and an MP1 raise...I think you need to raise to get it heads up (or close to it).

I say "if" because I think I might just pass on the hand and throw it to the muck.

Here is the way I see it:

UTG had A 3 and was counterfitted on the flop.

MP1 has A 2 x 8 or at least is representing that with his bet on the river, maybe a couple low spades and was trying to be sexy on the turn.

Once you start this hand...I think it's tough to find a place to fold and I would make a crying call here at the river hoping that he just had A 2 and was worried about making a bet before knowing he would not get counterfitted.

It would be too easy for him to have a couple of spades here to go with his low and scoop the pot.

You're in a bad spot.

Dave
Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM

I think you played it right. I might have bet the turn.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:19 PM

You are getting 8.25-1 odds on your river call. This is an instant call. Either your low or high hand will be good this amount of time.

I play it the same way you do.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:40 AM

PF I might just fold. You basically have a one way hand. A5 is not really a contender for low. But if you decide to play, raising is correct.

I would probably bet the turn. It is heads up and checked to you. The third spade just fell and you hold the Ace of Spades. If you bet the turn, it likely will be checked to you on the river, so you can bet or check then depending on the card. Betting the turn, checking the river costs the same one BB as checking the turn, calling the river but it puts you in control and gives your opponent a chance to make a mistake and fold.

I think you are probably beat both ways on the river. You have 4th nut low and a weak high on a paired, 3-suited board. You might want to make a crying call.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:35 PM

I think that once you have decided to play the hand, your play was fine, although I prefer to bet the turn, myself. But, this hand seems to be a good example of why the pre-flop fold is a good play. It's too easy to get in a situation where you are very likely beat for low &amp; don,t know where you're at on the high side.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:28 PM

Beavis - I think you played mostly fine.

Just one thing. I'd bet the turn.

I'd bet the turn because you know once you check behind MP1, MP1 is probably going to bet the river into you, and if so, you're going to call because MP1's bet might be an attempt to steal the pot and you have a chance to win high, low, or scoop.

If you bet the turn and MP1 calls, then MP1 will probably check the river into you and you can then check behind MP1 for the same total contribution. The difference is that MP1 might fold if you bet the turn.

The way you played it, MP1 gets to make the bet to possibly to steal the pot, instead of you.

When you force an opponent to confront a bet, you give your opponent an opportunity to make a mistake. (You make more money in this game from your opponent's mistakes than from your own brilliant play).

Instead, the way you played it, you gave your opponent a chance to give you the opportunity to make the mistake. Folding on the river, in my humble opinion, would have been a mistake. You did not make that mistake, which was good.

I don't know the results, and they don't matter to me because this hand could go any one of a number of different ways and I don't think we should rely on the results of whichever of the varied possibilities actually occurred. If you scooped, obviously it turned out you played perfectly. Or if you got scooped, then you'd obviously have done better folding before the flop.

But the next time you're in this or a simiilar situation, give your opponent the opportunity to make the mistake instead of the other way around.

Just my opinion.

Buzz