Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: 100/200 9Ts

i don't think checkraising the flop is an open-and-shut case. sure he might have ace high, 2 running clubs might show up and the guy to your left catches, or whatever. but lots of the time it's likely enough that you're just going to get threebet again.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think checkraising the flop is an open-and-shut case. sure he might have ace high, 2 running clubs might show up and the guy to your left catches, or whatever. but lots of the time it's likely enough that you're just going to get threebet again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the math. Getting three bet just isn't all that bad! It's almost like a freeroll situation. If he can knock out the 3rd player. great. if he happens to have the best hand, even better. but if neither are true, getting 3-bet is still not too far from even money.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:08 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the math isn't exactly spectacular with clubs and more payoff "outs" like a ten out there. but what i was talking about was mostly read acuity. there are so many times that i know i'm beaten but i end up taking some kind of defaulty action which wouldn't really be perceived as a mistake

one of those things where it happens and you say "i knew it" versus it happening and saying "oh well". it's so hard to tune your brain into acting on certain things just because of the way the board or your cards look, it's like the "know it" part is just a whisper. but it irritates me when i know something enough to have a whisper and i do it anyway. i'm specifically suggesting this to paluka because i suspect he knows what i'm talking about when i mention disliking the threebet. it's not because it "now means i'm beaten" or because there's a small loss of money involved.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:20 PM

I know what you mean. But there are plenty of times (happens much more in stud than holdem) where I know i'm behind with great certainty, but i will still make the play because i know that putting in that extra bet is +ev if I can knock out the third player. But if i'm in a situation where i can perhaps knock out the third guy, and my equity for that street is close to 0, then it's a freeroll and a no-brainer.
Failure to make such plays is VERY costly in stud. It's not so bad in holdem, but this situation just so screams out for that raise that I see it as a major mistake.