Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: 109: early AK hand

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see the made flush here. what suited cards does he reraise (MIN reraise in fact) preflop with? AJs? i don't know...

the min-reraise screams high pocket pair to me. that's why i don't have a problem with wuwei's checking on the flop since it opens up the possibility of actually sucking value out of those hands.

on the other hand i find it odd that he would shove the river with a set or two pair after the third heart falls. the bet suggests a more vunerable hand. i will hazard a guess of KK or JJ and he pushes to try to use the third heart as a scare card to fold aces. i don't see him pushing for value with a made flush or pushing 2 pair or a set into the flush card like that. looks like a crying call to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis. I concur.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:37 PM

Yeah I think you see KK alot here as well. And the 3rd heart on the board really means nothing at all to me. He didn't play it like a draw one bit, even if he may be picking the river to represent it.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:41 PM

I think he has qq and madea set on the river.
I would fold on the river,because u still have chips that u can do damage with.
I might of played the hand the same way,because and i wouldnt put hip on flush draw.
I would put him on aa,kk,qq,so ur either way behind or way ahead.let him bluff your chips of to you.
ig he has aa u still loose all your chips ,but he folds to your raise if he has under pair
Old 10-12-2005, 01:51 PM

Wuwei, totally OT but do you play the 55s a lot? I have been seeing a name similar to yours on the tables recently.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Nice post, I think this hand encompasses a lot of the difficulties with AK nicely.

One line I like is to keep it simple and bet the flop strongly. The small re-raise out of position preflop could be a wide variety of hands, and a healthy bet on the flop will regularly take down what is a nice pot already, or get some valuable information. I would tend to check behind the turn with that play, for fear of folding the best hand to a checkraise. Then the river you would likely have another big decision, but it might have been easier...

Personally, I don't think the guy is "making a play" on you by re-raising suited cards like JTs pre flop. If he did, he likely would've led flop with a flush draw trying to get you to fold a medium pair... Also, I find that in sng's people are FAR more likely to check turn hoping for cheap river card, rather than make a large semi bluff out of position.

At the same time, I doubt he is bluffing. It almost feels like he DID hit his 2 outer for a set on the turn or river, perhaps flopping it. AQ is possible too.

I wonder what happens if you take back the betting lead pre flop with another raise...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 PM

Insta calls. Your checking the flop means that your opponent probably doesnt think that you have an ace.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wuwei, totally OT but do you play the 55s a lot? I have been seeing a name similar to yours on the tables recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, I'm back at the $55s pretty much full time and back playing my party account. Only reason I'm in a $109 here is because of the major heater I'm running at the moment [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 02:06 PM

Alright I'll steer clear of you then :-P.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:17 PM

This happens sometimes, ya know? You have position, and a good hand but you want to control the size of the pot and play for value.

The flop is fine, the turn looks good... and then he pushes. Crap.

But the fact that the river is a heart really helps you. He either hates the heart or hopes you hate it and is trying to use brute force to win a hand that he played like a complete donk.

Call him.

Irieguy
Old 10-12-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he has qq and madea set on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

he COULD have QQ, but really why would he push with a hand that strong with almost no hope of being called by anything but the flush? it just doesn't make sense.

of course he could just be doing something that makes no sense, as players are know to do from time to time.