Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-08-2005, 11:50 AM

Default I thought of a new tourney format (kind of weird)

I was thinking last night that the online tourneys follow the brick and morter paradigm but in some instances that might not be necessary.

One thing I was thinking of was the following:

with all the multitabling on the internet why not have a tourney where there are two flights that take place simultaneously (flight A and flight B). You get the same amount of chips in each and play both.

At some predetermined point (not sure when perhaps when down to 2x number of players who cash, perhaps down to only people cashing) your chips combine.

Reasons I think this is mildly interesting:

1. gives more play to bad players

2. gives an edge to good players as it takes a bit of the luck out

3. lets you play different styles at the two tables due to different chip stacks

4. allows for deeper money when in the money but not unduly long tournament.

Has anyone thought of alternate setups like this and does anyone have comments?

Edit to say two other things I thought of are (i) could have different games in each flight and (ii) perhaps you get bonus chips for surviving both.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: I thought of a new tourney format (kind of weird)

This is really interesting. Clearly one of the problems that will need to be solve would be determining when to combine, but I love the idea of being deeper stacked later. Also, stack sizes after the combination. Some sort of double percentile thing or maybe just add the stacks together. Better minds than mine can work out the kinks.

I'd play this in a heartbeat.

-D.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 PM

I'll agree it does play out intresting, I am a very two faced player if i have the chip lead at a table, I am seeing flops and making raises, I push people around, IF i havent hit a hand/pot in awhile i've played tournaments where I was somewhere around 10-15% Flops seen(i consider that super brutal low).

Somewhere in the middle if it combined me, it would allow me to re-choose my style of play and break both the tables, re-establish my play style with combined stacks(assuming i was alive in both).

An excellent idea, implementation would be something else, and this could be used in real poker as well, just have "2" days 1 and you can play in both type deal or you have to play in both. Riveting idea, I'd love to see some professionals comments and some Tournament directors.(I've ran Computer tournaments at Large gaming expo's this may be a huge headache for a TD)
Old 10-08-2005, 12:40 PM

I really didn't expect to like this. This idea really could work well. I'd probably combine the money ITM because I like the idea of playing deep stacked ITM and I like the idea of short stacks being able to play loosely on the bubble if they have a much bigger stack at their other table.

I think the bonus for surviving both would make this too similar to playing two separate tournies, and is a little too much anyway.

Also, in order to make this work, I think you'd have to have a player's other chip stack under their chip stack at your table. This is very important information, and forcing people to go digging for it while they play two tables would be horrible.

Great idea. I'd like to see it implemented (doubt it will, of course, but I don't think you expect it anyway).