Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Showalter

The guy pulls three of his stars in the third inning, with home-field advantage in the ALDS on the line. Rangers blow a three run lead and lose, giving Angels home-field.

Now I know the Yankees had fate in their own hands, but a manager should put his best team out there with so much at stake.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Showalter

[ QUOTE ]
Now I know the Yankees had fate in their own hands, but a manager should put his best team out there with so much at stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did he have at stake? If he wants to get some young guys some time for the good of his organization, then why should he care who gets home field in the playoffs?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:04 PM

If NYY gave a rat's ass why was Wright starting instead of Mussina? Didn't Torre pull his starters after 4 or 5 inn.? Check the lineups for other teams out of it I'm sure you'll see the same thing.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:16 PM

Showalter or any other team playing for nothing this weekend, didn't owe anybody anything. This is annually what teams are up against when you go into the final weekend with things up for grabs.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:32 PM

Uh, if this is so goddamn important the Yankees should start a real pitcher. No Yankee fan can criticize Buck for taking his guys out of the game when the Yankees are putting Wright out there and getting ready for the playoffs.

It's on Mike and The Mad Dog right now and Mike is just flipping out. He is yelling, it's one of the best I've ever seen. Sterling, Waldman, Kay, all the Yankee crew were on air during the game yesterday talking about how the Rangers were "disgraceful", how they "are not playing the game it was meant to be played", really ridiculous stuff. Mike is going off on people, it's awesome and he's totally right.

I do have a bit of a problem with Buck taking his players out, but look: He played his guys the first two games, and only took them out when he had a 4-1 lead. If the game is so important, the Yankees have to play their A game if they want anyone else to play their A game. That's the crux of it.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If NYY gave a rat's ass why was Wright starting instead of Mussina? Didn't Torre pull his starters after 4 or 5 inn.? Check the lineups for other teams out of it I'm sure you'll see the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to weigh your options - they are assured a playoff spot so use your good starter in Game 1 instead of Game 4. He would have also been working on short rest.

As for pulling the players, Jeter got hurt and I believe they were down by 7 or 8 when everyone else came out.

And Showalter pulled his stars so they could "get a round of applause"...not for the team's benefit.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Showalter pulled his stars so they could "get a round of applause"...not for the team's benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter if he pulled them so they could get home in time for "The Simpsons." His team, his choice, he's the manager, and he doesn't owe anybody else a thing.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter if he pulled them so they could get home in time for "The Simpsons." His team, his choice, he's the manager, and he doesn't owe anybody else a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. As a paying customer, I want to see the best players out on the field. I know the game was essentially meaningless to the Rangers, but as for taking out your best players in the 4th inning so they could get applause? Bullshit. If you are going to do that, do it in the 7th,8th or 9th. They are going to have the next 5 months off anyways.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. As a paying customer, I want to see the best players out on the field. I know the game was essentially meaningless to the Rangers, but as for taking out your best players in the 4th inning so they could get applause? Bullshit. If you are going to do that, do it in the 7th,8th or 9th. They are going to have the next 5 months off anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Must have missed your vitriolic complaining about the other 21 teams that played a bunch of scrubs yesterday.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Must have missed your vitriolic complaining about the other 21 teams that played a bunch of scrubs yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

LAA @ TEX Attendance: 38,334 (78% full)
BAL @ TB Attendance: 17,450 (39.9% full)

hopefully, you see my point.