Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Check the turn or raise the river?

I don't like how I played this. BB is 63/11, SB is 24/5. Not many hands on either player...

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

The flop 3-bet screamed 56 or a set, but the check on the turn puzzled me. I probably should have checked behind, but bet with the intention of folding to a cr. The donk by BB on the river means nothing except that he doesn't believe that I have a Q.
Anyone for raising the river? folding?
Both probably better than calling....
Old 09-19-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Check the turn or raise the river?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like how I played this. BB is 63/11, SB is 24/5. Not many hands on either player...

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

The flop 3-bet screamed 56 or a set, but the check on the turn puzzled me. I probably should have checked behind, but bet with the intention of folding to a cr. The donk by BB on the river means nothing except that he doesn't believe that I have a Q.
Anyone for raising the river? folding?
Both probably better than calling....

[/ QUOTE ]

If BB flopped a 2 pair, a set, or a straight, wouldn't he go for a check raise on the turn? The Q on the turn should not have scared him, but it obviously did.

So, I'm inclined to put him on a midium pocket pair, something like 88, 99, or TT. He check calls the turn hoping to see showdown, but when another Q hit the river, he value bets because he doesn't give you nor the SB credit for holding a Q.

Another scenario is that he also has A7 or a weaker 7.

I don't have the guts to raise the river on hands like this, so I would've just called. But now that I think about it maybe raising the river is a good play since I might be able to get BB to fold a 88, 99, or TT.

Is this why you were thinking of raising the river?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:05 PM

Seems perfect to me. You are usually losing to 88-TT from the SB who got scared on the turn, but I don't see where you can fold. I think you have to bet the turn because your hand is vulnerable and it's pretty easy to fold to a SB checkraise (or BB for that matter).
Old 09-19-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems perfect to me. You are usually losing to 88-TT from the SB who got scared on the turn, but I don't see where you can fold. I think you have to bet the turn because your hand is vulnerable and it's pretty easy to fold to a SB checkraise (or BB for that matter).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!
SB takes it down with 88 (BB has 87).
After the hand I started thinking about how after the turn I was reading SB for what he had, and that he might not have been able to call 2 cold on the river.
Oh well.