Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-12-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Flopped Two Pair, Monochrome Flop

Running bad and struggling. Curious about the play of this hand.

Party 30, big blind holding 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

The three fish who are making this game call, SB a (23/10/2 type) completes and I check.

Flop (5sb) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I lead out three fish fold and SB checkraises me. I call.

Turn (4.5bb) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB leads, I raise he calls.

River J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He checks I bet (mistake?), he raises I ?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Flopped Two Pair, Monochrome Flop

Flop: This is what I usually do here, though once in a while I will 3 bet it.

Turn: I like your raise. If he 3 bets, call down, unless perhaps another A or club falls. Then go by feel.

River: I'd check here, but if i bet, i'd have to call but wouldn't like it-- with 12.5BB in the pot now, I only have to be wrong about him being better than me 8% of the time to make the call correct.

--Dan
Old 09-13-2005, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the response. Villian had Jc Jx. Maybe a river check is correct.

I just couldn't figure he wouldn't raise limpers with any overpair, I was kind of shocked.

Any other responses? Thought it was an interesting hand.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:05 AM

I like the river check better`.If you bet, it doesn;t seem likely that a worse hand will call or that a better hand will fold, and it keeps you out of trouble.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:02 AM

I think you played it well, including the river bet. He is very likely to have the Ac and pay you off. His river check-raise really sucks for you, but you have to call.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it well, including the river bet. He is very likely to have the Ac and pay you off. His river check-raise really sucks for you, but you have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-14-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-14-2005, 11:08 AM

There's no reason to pull a stop 'n go on the flop.

You have what is probably the best hand, but it's vulnerable to probably 1/3rd of the deck against a reasonable range of hands that the villain could have.

3bet if only to take control of the hand. If a club falls on the turn, i probably check behind and then call 1 on the river unless i fill up or the two pair gets counterfeited.

With how the hand wound up, both the turn and river looked safe. Raising the turn is fine at that point.

You have to lead out on that river too, i think. Your hand will be called by many hands that you have beat. The problem is, when you did the stop n' go, you're showing extreme strength that for him to check/raise the river on you there, there's almost no way that you're ahead. The fact that the pot is so bloated at that point hurts. Unless he's been acting maniacal, though, I might be inclined to fold.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no reason to pull a stop 'n go on the flop.

You have what is probably the best hand, but it's vulnerable to probably 1/3rd of the deck against a reasonable range of hands that the villain could have.

3bet if only to take control of the hand. If a club falls on the turn, i probably check behind and then call 1 on the river unless i fill up or the two pair gets counterfeited.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, this is not what people typically call a "stop and go." Hero is slowplaying, but for a very specific reason. Opponent is likely on a flush draw, and hero is unlikely to be outdrawn by anything else. When you have position heads up in this kind of situation and you know that the opponent is very likely to bet the turn no matter what, it's better to give up a small bet on the flop in favor of raising the turn and extracting an extra BB when the fourth club doesn't come. You are essentially trading a small edge for a much larger edge because your pot equity is significantly increased when that fourth club doesn't turn.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, this is not what people typically call a "stop and go." Hero is slowplaying, but for a very specific reason. Opponent is likely on a flush draw, and hero is unlikely to be outdrawn by anything else. When you have position heads up in this kind of situation and you know that the opponent is very likely to bet the turn no matter what, it's better to give up a small bet on the flop in favor of raising the turn and extracting an extra BB when the fourth club doesn't come. You are essentially trading a small edge for a much larger edge because your pot equity is significantly increased when that fourth club doesn't turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said sir. My thinking was the check raise had to mean at least a flush draw and an overcard. It could also mean a baby flush.

I could reevaluate if a flush came or I filled up, and by giving up the lead I could win an extra BB because an aggressive opponent will semibluff there trying to steal the pot out of position.