Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 AM

Default the downswing, in 3 phases so far....

I play 5-10 6max.
In august, I was DERB. 4.5BB/100 over 20k hands.
In september, I can't win. Currently down 230BB over the last 10k hands. My stats are the same, though there has been some tilt.

Stage 1: "it's just variance". I repeat this mantra ad nauseum. I'm relaxed. Suckouts happen, no big deal. It's all good.

Stage 2: Anger. Here comes the tilt. Now, when I get sucked out on I feel like punching the wall. Sometimes I do. I decide to 8 table 6max for a bit. That didn't work out at all.

Stage 3: acceptance. Losing is my natural state. It seems normal. I refocus on playing good, but when I look at how I'm doing on the day I'm surprised to see I'm down 70BB in just 800 hands. It doesn't feel like I'm doing that badly, because I'm expecting to lose now. Downswing at 259BB and counting.....
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: the downswing, in 3 phases so far....

[ QUOTE ]
Now, when I get sucked out on I feel like punching the wall. Sometimes I do. I decide to 8 table 6max for a bit. That didn't work out at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Inreasing the # of tables you play is probably the dumbest thing you can do in the midst of a downswing, especially when you just posted you were tilting
Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 AM

There is an article (cannot find the link) that addresses what you refer to as "stage 3" as the "pain threshold". You are currently past your pain threshold, so now you are numb to the pain of losing and expect to lose and accept it as the norm. This is as bad as it can get, so just stop now.

Stop for a few days or a week. Try to relax. Once you return, do so at a lower limit. Play less tables at once and slowly build your confidence back. Review every hand where you win or lose 2 BB or more afterwards. Validate your play regardless of the results.

I've made downswings worse by reacting to bad beats with emotion and attempts to win back what was lost. There is no worse approach than this - expecting to have an effect on the randomness of cards. You just have to play what you get and hope for the best when you're sure you've made all the right decisions.

I should save this post for myself when I have my next downswing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Seriously, good luck.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Aren't you supposed to experience bigger swings at 6-max? That's gotta be half the reason I don't play it.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:44 PM

I have no idea what full-ring variance is like, but I run about 16BB/100 at 6max....
Old 09-13-2005, 01:45 PM

If it makes you feel any better, every new hand brings the possibility for a new deeper downswing. I'm not really trying to be sarcastic, but all these downswing posts are really kind of sad. I've had some ridiculous downswings/cold decks for the past 20k and I don't expect anybody to cry for me. This is what happens! Sure, I think everyone is prone to some form of tilt, but some forms are far worse than others. I generally make a few lose calls, or play a couple hands out of position that I should fold. I do not think this is that bad, but a bet wasted is a bet wasted. If you are seriously getting so upset you are punching walls you need to either stop playing for a while, or play full ring games for a while.