Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Taking shots is fun (low content)

For the past 3 weeks I have been taking shots at the 40/80 game at oceans 11. The game has been pretty good, with several weak spots, but nothing completely insane. Yesterday, however, one player decided to drink a lot and play all his hands. The interesting thing is he is a very nice, personable gentleman, whose charisma inspired another player to do the same. Then another. Pretty soon everyone at the table was a LAG and had overs buttons (if you don't know what these are, they make the bets doubled when only players with overs are left in the pot). It was actually physically dangerous not to play overs, as the players would each throw the yellow buttons at anyone who didn't have them.

Anyway, on to the hand. I am dealt black 8's on the button. UTG straddles. There are 4 callers to me, and I 3bet. One of the blinds calls, the straddler caps it (as he did so he explained he hadn't yet looked at his cards). 7 of us to the flop as overs take effect.

The flop comes Ts 8h 3s. The straddler bets, callers to me, I raise, straddler 3bets, race for more callers, I cap it. 5 of us see the turn.

Turn is 2h (Ts 8h 3s). Straddler now looks at his cards, gets excited, and bets. This time only 2 players called, and I raised it. They all called around. 4 to the river.

River Ks. Checked to me, I bet, straddler checkraises, 2 folds, I call. Straddler shows KK for the largest pot I have ever seen, and I die a little.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Taking shots is fun (low content)

Sick. Good bad beat story. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2005, 09:22 PM

Yeah, man well-written story. Man, does that suck!
Old 09-10-2005, 09:42 PM

What's the reasoning in 3 betting 88 with 4 cc? I see little value in that.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:55 PM

You don't think I have an equity edge against 4 players playing any 2 cards? None of them raised a straddle, they didn't have anything good at all.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:38 AM

I don't think I've EVER won one of these hands, where there's maniacs and I flop a huge hand and figure to win the pot of the week. Protect my hand, build an even bigger pot, in position, OOP, whatever. I'm never dragging that pot. God, the buildup is fun though, huh? On the other hand, I've raked in plenty of pots when I donk it up at lower limits, straddle, blind bet and raise etc to the river, only to find my under-gut has gotten there against AA and a flopped set. LOL. Maybe I need to do this when I'm playing "seriously".

Good post

Leon
Old 09-11-2005, 01:11 AM

That is SICK.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:13 AM

Seriously, $2,700 pot. At least everyone was having fun, and I hope you stayed till all the LAGs left.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, $2,700 pot. At least everyone was having fun, and I hope you stayed till all the LAGs left.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the "overs" buttons that kicked in for the flop bets and beyond. This was more like a $4700 pot. Sick.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the "overs" buttons that kicked in for the flop bets and beyond. This was more like a $4700 pot. Sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? So everyone in that hand had overs?

I'm not exactly sure how these work. Wouldn't this then be the same as playing 80/160?