Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Go ahead and re-raise this flop?

Typical table. I'd been on a monster run of cards this past orbit, and had raised the previous 3 hands pre-flop, so I thought I'd just call this one (mistake?)

Also, is it correct to wait until the turn to raise, or are there already enough callers on the flop to re-raise?

All comments appreciated.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (14 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 09-09-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Go ahead and re-raise this flop?

I like it. You're giving up a little to potentially gain a lot. You have the nut flush already, so another diamond falling isn't going to hurt. If you had a lesser flush, I would definitely say push it on the flop.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:28 PM

You know, I did the same thing last night (calling with a raising hand because I had been open-raising a lot), and when I think about it now, I don't like it at all. If you're worried that people won't respect your raises, then there aren't many better hands to raise with than AKs. It's a big favorite and it plays well multiway, so really, you're hoping people will look you up here.

I was thinking about why I called instead of raising a pretty clear raising hand, and I've come to the conclusion that it's because subconsciously I want the other players at the table to think I am a good player. But really, my goal ought to be to take their money. So if they call my raise thinking "what a fish", so much the better for me (and you). I have to imagine it's more profitable if your opponents have an incorrect read on you than if they just have a general read that you're a solid player.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:29 PM

First Question: Why the hell are you not raising pre-flop?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:30 PM

If you raised the past 3 hands preflop, there's even more reason to raise this one, people are going to go out of their way to "keep you honest".

I would go ahead and reraise the flop, a turn check/raise is risky and there's a good chance he'll check behind on the turn on this board.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about why I called instead of raising a pretty clear raising hand, and I've come to the conclusion that it's because subconsciously I want the other players at the table to think I am a good player. But really, my goal ought to be to take their money. So if they call my raise thinking "what a fish", so much the better for me (and you). I have to imagine it's more profitable if your opponents have an incorrect read on you than if they just have a general read that you're a solid player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, some of my most profitable sessions are when I pick up 3-4 good hands in a row and my opponents think I'm a maniac. After they realize I'm showing down good hands everytime they stop playing back at me and I pick up a bunch of pots because they fear I have the nuts again.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Good points, some of my most profitable sessions are when I pick up 3-4 good hands in a row and my opponents think I'm a maniac. After they realize I'm showing down good hands everytime they stop playing back at me and I pick up a bunch of pots because they fear I have the nuts again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and GME bring up some great points. I wasn't (that I know of) wanting them to think I am a good player (but I guess that's the definition of "subconscious" right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) but just to mix my game up a bit. How was I to know I'd flop the immortal nuts?

But all in all, you're right... no matter how good of a run you're on, if you are showing down good hands, most people will, for the short term anyway, tend to want to avoid me. That's not what I want.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Typical table. I'd been on a monster run of cards this past orbit, and had raised the previous 3 hands pre-flop, so I thought I'd just call this one (mistake?)

[/ QUOTE ]
The only time I'll think like that is if I've been raising a string of hands and now my hand is weaker than usual. My thinking is that now I'm likely to get more callers, so I want to make sure my hand can hold up in that type of situation. In your case, AKs would love plenty of callers, so you're missing out on a ton of value pre-flop.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:27 PM

Reraise the flop and for the love of god raise preflop.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:33 PM

If you were in some sort of position where you didn't have the whole field trapped for extra bets on that flop, you could make a case for trapping them on the big street. Here, reraise them. You have the whole field trapped, and you don't know if they'll call on the turn. As for preflop: