Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Sports Noobs against Pros - spawned from tdarko\'s tennis thread

BADMINTON!!!! that is all.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:40 PM

Is there pro curling? Someone might have a chance of getting lucky in that.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bowling - within 200 pts in a 3 game match.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only one a noob would even have any shot at.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-08-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
perhaps table tennis could be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

not even a chance. I would wager everything I own and will ever own on the professional in this match. Hell, if the professional was not goofing around and playing his A game, the noob would not even get a single point.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd go as far to say that the only times the noob would even actually hit the ball onto the pro's side would be on his own serves.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:36 PM

I know this isnt a sport, but poker is probably one of the few games an amatuer actually stands a chance in against a pro.

as for someone mentioning mixed martial art, you could handicap the pro by handcuffing him and dissallowing kicks knees of anysort, and the amatuer would still get worked on straight headbutts.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BADMINTON!!!! that is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're nuts. Badminton is one of the most demanding sports around, stamina-wise.

Sports where an athletic noob might have a shot: luge and bobsled.

-ptmusic
Old 09-09-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tennis - Win one game in 3 sets

[/ QUOTE ]

No chance. Have you ever seen a 120 mph serve? The noob would have to score 4 points in a game. That's just not happening.

[ QUOTE ]

Baseball - 3 or more fairballs hit (no bunting) in 27 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a random person to the batting cages and have them swing at the 60mph softballs. It's hilarious. No chance a noob hits anything moving 70+ mph with any kind of movement, let alone a 90 mph fastball.

[ QUOTE ]

Basketball - score 2+ baskets in a race to 15 winner takes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more ludicrous than hitting a baseball if that's possible. I'm nowhere close to being a professional and my friends who play ball a couple times a month can't score a point on me. I've actually made multiple $100 bets on this one with people who play basketball and I haven't lost yet. Soooo . . . no chance.

[ QUOTE ]

Table Tennis - score 2 pts in a 21 pt match

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone ever tried to return a good table tennis serve? I knew this guy who was the worst player on his high school team in Singapore. I'm not the greatest ping pong player, but it took me over 10 tries to get his serve to just land on the other side of the table. I can't even imagine what playing a pro would be like.

[ QUOTE ]

Bowling - within 200 pts in a 3 game match.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has a chance of happening. If the pro plays really poorly he'll probably get around 700 or so. I guess 500 is doable if you go on a run.

[ QUOTE ]

Boxing - last 5 rounds

[/ QUOTE ]

I would pay to see this one.

[ QUOTE ]

Golf - win 2 holes out of 18, for a total noob even one would be too much I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one might be the hardest of all. Hitting a golf ball cleanly is hard enough for all those rich folk who pay thousands for lessons. Someone picking up a club for the first time has no shot.

Oh and to everyone who thinks scoring on a penalty kick in soccer is that easy, think again. Kicking a soccer ball into the corner of a goal isn't as easy as it looks. And you'd have to get some pace on the ball. I'd say making 1 in 10 might be doable, but that's about as close as you're gonna get.

I honestly can't think of a single sport that would be possible. Pros have spent their entire lives perfecting what they do. It's crazy how good you can get at something. Just imagine if you were playing a heads up NL hold em match against someone who's never played poker before . . . only there are no suckouts.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
perhaps table tennis could be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

not even a chance. I would wager everything I own and will ever own on the professional in this match. Hell, if the professional was not goofing around and playing his A game, the noob would not even get a single point.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd go as far to say that the only times the noob would even actually hit the ball onto the pro's side would be on his own serves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, a pro will have the noob spraying returns everywhere but on the table. There is approximately zero chance of the noob getting a single point.

I think a hardbat game would be better - less spin. Still not sure the noob could get a point, though.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:56 AM

How about pool? Could a noob pocket 2 or 3 balls in, say, 3 racks of nine-ball? Could get lucky on a break. Other than that, luck can leave the pro in a bad spot any time, but they would shoot a good safety and still make it tough on the noob. Pro could get an unlucky scratch, virtally ensuring the noob 1 ball.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:01 AM

In the unmentionable card game a total amature can take out an entire field of players, including many professionals...

It's on ESPN, it's a sport...