Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-20-2005, 08:01 PM

Default considering getting a different type of poker coach

I've reached a point where I am unhappy with where I am at as a full time poker player. what's more I am completely frustrated and depressed with my inability to make the changes I want on my own. my problem is I cannot get myself on a regular schedule which involves enough hours to reach my goals. This then causes a lack of bankroll growth and moving up. I know the problem started with a period of post divorce depression I went through where I basically lost my work ethic. However I just cant seem to get myself back on track regardless of how many times I try. I'll do a good job for a week or two and then just fizzle out again and again.

I started reading this book "the power of focus" and I can see that I have some developed some very bad habits. These don't just affect my playing poker but also things like letting bills, that I am capable of paying sit around until they go past do, and not getting out or really having a life. I get so pissed at myself as a result.

Anyways to help me with the poker part I was thinking about searching for and hiring a non strategy poker coach who would help me with the following areas, designing a attainable schedule and helping me getin the habit of doing it. Additionally coming up with a bankroll management and setting some goals.

Has anyone done or heard of something similar?

Any suggestions, comments?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: considering getting a different type of poker coach

I've heard of them.. kinda like life coaches.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard of them.. kinda like life coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

life coaches? is this a professional that can be hired?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:21 PM

yah i think they are called psychologists [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yah i think they are called psychologists [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except they have no degree.

You could always try Phil Towle, except he may try and move in with you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 10:06 PM

Yes, life coaches do exist and are getting more and more popular. I'll let the fact that Penn & Teller - Bullshit has an episode about life coaching answer the question whether it's a good idea to hire one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Seriously it sounds like a depression bout;

Have some experience in that area, it's a miracle what a good therapist and psych with some short term anti-depressants can do.. Oh, and do NOT under estimate the power of excercise...

Simplest life change you can make? DRAG yourself out of bed and excercise for an hour every A.M. hell make it a walk around your neighborhood... whatever... start small [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You would be amazed...
Old 08-20-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I keep hearing this from people who know me.

a friend, "its sounds like your suffering from depression"

my mother "Jeremy you have been severly depressed for years"

but I don't know I'm not really sad all the time or anything I just it's like I know where I want to be and I know what I need to do to get there but I just can't, it's like this thing in my head stops me or whatever.

thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I keep hearing this from people who know me.

a friend, "its sounds like your suffering from depression"

my mother "Jeremy you have been severly depressed for years"

but I don't know I'm not really sad all the time or anything I just it's like I know where I want to be and I know what I need to do to get there but I just can't, it's like this thing in my head stops me or whatever.

thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

NC - I'm Bi-Polar and know ALOT about this [censored].. Drop me a PM if you want to talk. That is classic depression in a mild form, lack of motivation is a huge sign.

Tell your doctor you don't want an SSRI (relieves social anxiety) unless you have a problem with that. Sounds like you need a couple months of Wellbutrin running through you to get everything adjusted and back to norm.

No shame in this stuff nowadays man, hell over half the friends I have have dealt with it at some time or another.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 PM

non-c its called mild depression. you might not even really think you are depressed, but you certainly could be. if other people around you think you are depressed then thats a strong sign. i know from my own experiences that i have suffered depression when i didnt think i was depressed and antidepressants helped me. i was prescribed welbutrin and it had quite an amazing effect. however, i stopped taking it despite the positive results because i really didnt like the idea of being on anti-depressants.

there are people out there who naturally have low serotonin levels in their brain which causes depression even if they are living good lives. anti-depressants are used to raise serotonin levels. there are some people who need to take anti-depressants their entire lives to correct this imbalance and as long as they continue their medication they live happy lives. i am finding that i may be one of these people. of course, there are many debates on the issue of anti-depressants. many people believe that this should not be a way of life and they feel that people who feel that they need anti-depressants should find otherways to increase happiness in their lives. i am not arguing that they are wrong, because in many aspects i think they may be right. i really dont know enough about each side of the arguement to have a fair judgment. all i know is that anti-depressants did have a positive effect on me.

there are online sites where you can order anti-depressants without needing a prescription. check out google if you want to. taking anti-depressants can be dangerous if your body does not need them, so you may want to see a psychiatrist for them instead. however, he will probably want to see you for many sessions before deciding whether you need them or not and you may not want to endure them. you can try anti-depressants on your own, but i recommend that you do alot of research first on whether you think its a good idea or not. i am not a doctor, so i do not know whats best for you. i am simply showing you some options. if you do decide to go on anti-depressants realize that it may take up to a month to start feeling the effects, so if you purchase them you need to be commited to fulfilling at least a month's worth of dosage before deciding to quit.

i am considering going back on anti-depressants myself to see if it brings a positive effect. i dont like talking about these things because talking about chemical imbalances and depression is simply embarrassing. however, i thought i should be real about the issue.

hope things work out for you. this post took me 15 minutes to write and my current life coach rate is $80/hr so ill be expecting $20 in my neteller account after fees. thanks and come again.