Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: LAG hand I guess

[ QUOTE ]
its better to bluff when you need to bluff to win. try to use the value that your hand has when it has value, and your hand here certainly does, but not when you play it like you did.

here, you have a decent, not tremendously vulnerable hand in position in a heads up pot and you played it in such a way as to almost guarentee that his worse hands, the ones you want to play against, will fold. you have also minimized the probability of him bluffing at the pot.

aggression is all well and good but pot control and inducing bluffs are good things too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this post. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:16 AM

Results?
Old 08-20-2005, 03:12 PM

Poor play
Old 08-20-2005, 03:28 PM

On checking the turn....

Lets say villain is almost always going to lead the river if you check this turn. How much are willing to call against this kind of opponent (borderline TAG as you said). Pot at 285.

A non Ace river and villian leads for 175. Your action? Baring no read I vote fold.

Why call/fold? This is the bulk of the question as these actions will be the most common, but a small % of the time...
Anyone push? Baring no read this seems terrible, but I'd be happy to be enlightened.

edit - making push an acceptable option what kind of hand would you put villain on?. I'm also an idiot and messed up pot size, fixed now.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Results

He typed KJ and folded.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Results

For those of you advocating pot control, I was probably planning to bet the turn and check through the river. It makes decisions easier than the check through turn, put one bet in on the river line, but I realize that I'll have to lay down a winning hand more often with this line. When he checkminraised me, I felt I could represent AK strongly and get him to fold whatever he was holding. If I call the checkraise, I have no bluff equity on the river and I get stacked or just end up folding anyway. If I decide to call the river after calling the checkminraise, I'm putting in almost as much money as with my line, but I'm calling it away instead of betting. I don't have a problem with getting my stack in on a marginal hand as long as I'm the one betting, but I'm not a fan of calling off 1000 bucks with second pair. Folding to the turn checkraise is kind of lame, and I really hate folding to minraises. Maybe it's better though.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:46 PM

u trust he was telling truth? i think any K calls, maybe i am donkey in a field of cows...or is it horses
Old 08-20-2005, 10:21 PM

He didn't have a King and this was really badly played.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding to the turn checkraise is kind of lame, and I really hate folding to minraises. Maybe it's better though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you had better experience with turn check minraises than me. So far my count is something like 389 near lock hand and 1 bluff.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:43 PM

Maybe the stacks are too shallow to pull this move. If we both had 1500 behind, calling with KJ against a TAG is definitely not a no-brainer.

Once he checkminraises, my hand loses all value and may as well be T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Some sort of K is his most likely holding, and I have to decide whether I think I can push him off a weak K or should just fold.