Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-14-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: continuing 300 Bb thread

[ QUOTE ]

there are so many easy games and places to play that winning an average of 4 or more times out of five should be easy. with loses smaller than wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody in the history of poker has won 4 out of 5 sessions.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think what Ray is saying is that good players usually have a high enough winrate that this is unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]I think what Ray is saying is that a good player is never to good to consider the circumstances under which he is playing.

[/ QUOTE ]I think what Ray is saying is that you may play pretty good to good poker generally, but your personal style of playing might sometimes not blend well with the texture of a particular table, which could contributing to doing poorly on that table.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

there are so many easy games and places to play that winning an average of 4 or more times out of five should be easy. with loses smaller than wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to maximize my earn per hour. Right now for me, that is by playing 2-4 50/100 or 100/200 games. I table select pretty well but even then there is NO way even you would win 80% of your sessions unless you were to consciously play to try to obtain that. Honestly your statement is laughable to me and will be laughable to anyone who plays in the Stars 100/200 or Crytpo 100/200 or higher or UB 80/160.

[ QUOTE ]
why would online lead you to have bigger downswings than live. it will have smaller ones as you are much more able to pick your spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh ugh ugh, online is MUCH more aggressive than live. I've played plenty live and plenty online, there is no way I will ever ever ever go through a larger downswing live than I have online unless the way how people play live changes dramatically. The variance comes from the aggression, which also results in higher win rates though some sickening swings along the way.

Please Ray, get yourself a cable modem out there in Montana and try some online poker, you really are off the mark on this.

As I type this post,
Boutros: posts small blind $50
d0000d: posts big blind $100
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to d0000d [Ad Ah]
Meeroo: folds
Glava: raises $200
rosser: calls $200
Devman: calls $200
Boutros: raises $250
d0000d: raises $300
Glava: calls $200
rosser: calls $200
Devman: calls $200
Boutros: calls $100
----- FLOP ----- [2c 6s 6h]
Boutros: checks
d0000d: bets $100
rosser: folds
Devman: folds
Boutros: folds
d0000d: raises $200
d0000d: calls $100
----- TURN ----- [2c 6s 6h][7h]
d0000d: checks
Glava: bets $200
d0000d: raises $400
Glava: raises $400
d0000d: calls $200
----- RIVER ----- [2c 6s 6h 7h][Tc]
d0000d: checks
Glava: bets $200
d0000d: calls $200
----- SHOW DOWN -----
Glava: shows [7s 7d] (A Full House, Sevens full of Sixes)

This kind of stuff happens all the time online and just doesn't happen live (not the getting two outed part, but the amount of aggression people are usually willing to put in). Sure, you can win more online, but you get killed for some long losing streaks and there's jack shyte you can do about it besides sigh and keep playing.

I feel like I must somehow be off the mark in questioning a poker dignitary such as yourself, and I'm probably coming off youthful and cocky and arrogant and abrasive, but I'm definitely willing to question authority and risk looking like an ass in my effort to amass all the knowledge I can from you and others. Again, I mean you no disrespect, but I do strongly feel like you're off the mark regarding online poker and swings.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:15 PM

One thing I'd like to point out that is somewhat related. Mason writes in is Gambling Theory and Other Topics books about great players and how their standard deviation goes up a lot to earn an extra 10% or so because they take alot more risk to earn the extra 10% or so. In other words the relationship between their win rate and standard deviation deteriorates a lot even though their EV increases. So I suppose it depends somewhat on how you can handle downswings. If a losing month doesn't bother you all that much and/or you're willing to go broke then that's something different. With that said I agree that big downswings are most likely due to bad play and/or games where your edge isn't very big or you're the live one.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uumm for over 2 months i won 4 out of 5 sessions and was playing almost daily... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uumm for over 2 months i won 4 out of 5 sessions and was playing almost daily... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And how ya doing now...? Not keeping that pace?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi peachy, I think he meant over their career, not during a 2 month hot streak. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And how ya doing now...? Not keeping that pace?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha FU MIKE!!! ur just mad cause i whoop up on u!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and now? what about you're overall win?

-Barron
Old 08-14-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and now? what about you're overall win?

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

BARRON!!! u wanna get hurt too huh!! my overall is still fine!! GGGRRRRRRRRRRR u 2 r sooo cute har har