Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 08-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Getting value on the river...

I feel like recently my opponents have been folding to often to my river bet and I am not getting enough value out of it. I generally bet about 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot on the river and I seem to get very few calls. Is this to much for a river bet?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Getting value on the river...

It's very dependant on the hand. 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot isn't huge though. Maybe you're playing on tight tables or your table image is too tight.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:16 PM

If you think you're getting too much 'respect', try bluffing some more, until they stop letting you get away with it.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like recently my opponents have been folding to often to my river bet and I am not getting enough value out of it. I generally bet about 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot on the river and I seem to get very few calls. Is this to much for a river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] If your opponent has a 10-high busted draw, he won't call anything.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] In many situations, you want to bet less than 2/3 the pot on the river. Think of what your opponent has, and how much he would be call with a worse hand. Often, you should bet 1/3-1/2 of the pot. Sometimes you can bet more than the pot.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Pretty often, you should be checking on the river even when you think you probably have the best hand. you should bet on the river much less frequently than in limit.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:14 PM

Oh I do but say I am betting a draw and catch it I'll throw in a 3/4 size river bet, and my opponents probably fold some type of pair.