Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 03:27 AM

Default New Yorkers, where would you live in NYC for $3k/mo?

So, here's the deal. Sometime in the next few months, I might sell my company here in SF. If that happens, I'll probably look for a change of scenery. I've been here for a while and it's probably time for a change. One of my options is NYC, largely due to some exciting business opportunities there.

So, here's the question. If I decide to move to NYC, where should I live? I'd ideally be looking for a 1br place and would like to spend $3k or less per month. I love hanging out in the E Village, SoHo, etc. I don't find myself hanging out in UWS/UES very much. I like to go to restaurants and bars all around the city, so easy access to trains is key. So, given those criteria, where would you live?
Old 08-03-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: New Yorkers, where would you live in NYC for $3k/mo?

How much are studios in SoHo? I can't imagine it being anywhere near 3k, but I just live in NYC, I don't apartment hunt, so I have no idea. My friend lives in a huge place on the UWS and pays 3.5k for an absolutely amazing 3br place.

So, yeah, live where you like to hang out.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:03 AM

how cold does it get in SF?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:14 AM

For 3k/month, I hope you're buying.

Yeah the city is cool but I'd buy in Cobble Hill or the Slope right now. These places will not decrease in value.

As far as convenience, you're as close to your bars & restaurants in Brooklyn or some places in Queens as you are in the city. It takes me 25 minutes to get most places north of 21 and and only a little longer to get further. In my experience you'll spend that at least that long in transit from withing manhattan.

Plus it's nice in the boroughs, and it usually doesn't smell like garbage.

But for 3k, you can probably be very choosy about where you end up. That's a lot to pay, even in NYC (possibly not for a high-rolling 2+2'er).

bk
Old 08-03-2005, 07:45 AM

Check out Union Square and Greenwich Village in the vicinity of 8th Street around University Place & Broadway. Union Square has become a very hip neighborhood with lots of good bars & restaurants and subway access to pretty much all of Manhattan. I'm a lifelong (and old) native NYer so PM me if you'd like more specifics.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:48 AM

I'm moving out of my place in January, I pay 3K/month rent. I live in the Hudson River (no joke, I really do... see Bunky's Bunkfest trip report for details) Its perfect if you want to own a car too, and pay lower taxes that NYC residents. 1,500 square feet, 2 bedrooms & a den for my computer.

PS: You can't buy anything good and expect to pay 3K a month in NYC, but thats a great range for a rental.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love hanging out in the E Village, SoHo,

[/ QUOTE ]

Answered your own question
Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 AM

You can buy amazing apartments in Washington Heights overlooking the river and your mortgage will be considerably less than 3K a month.

If I could buy anything in NYC it'd be a brownstone in Harlem. Uptown is the sh!t.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 AM

Default The Answer

El D

I just moved from New York back home to Florida recently. If I were were you I would live in the lower west side/ financial district area. I lived on 400 Chambers Street in Tribeca Park in a 2/2 and paid $4200 month. It was beautiful, right on Battery Park, overlooking the Hudson and Jersey. Chambers has every line on the subway, 1, 3 everything. Also some great smaller bars down there. That would be my opinion, hope it all works out for you.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For 3k/month, I hope you're buying.

Yeah the city is cool but I'd buy in Cobble Hill or the Slope right now. These places will not decrease in value.

As far as convenience, you're as close to your bars & restaurants in Brooklyn or some places in Queens as you are in the city. It takes me 25 minutes to get most places north of 21 and and only a little longer to get further. In my experience you'll spend that at least that long in transit from withing manhattan.

Plus it's nice in the boroughs, and it usually doesn't smell like garbage.

But for 3k, you can probably be very choosy about where you end up. That's a lot to pay, even in NYC (possibly not for a high-rolling 2+2'er).

bk

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of you guys are completely ignoring his original criteria. If he likes Soho and going out to bars in Manhattan obviously he doesnt want to live there.