Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-01-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Calling an All In with KQo with 5 left?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold and then reread Sklansky's explanation of the Gap Concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe reread what actually occurred in this hand and try to apply your readings to the late stages of an SNG.

Over 20% of my chips were in the big blind, the big stack goes all-in from the small blind and I would be getting good pot odds to call here with a hand that likely isn't dominated.

I'm surprised that some people would fold this in the situation I was in. To them, what would you call with then? AJ+,TT+??? That has to be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once they are in the middle they aren't your chips. They are chips in a pot which might give you better odds to call. If you fold here, you are pretty much equal with 4 other stacks and 1 monster stack which is a lot of different situation than if there were 3 big stacks and 2 stacks of your size.

As far as calling ranges, you really don't want to be calling a lot of all ins even if you are slightly ahead. To me this is a really edge case and you really need a feel for what the SB would be pushing with here to make a call.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a little too tight. I'd say 88+ A9+ KJs+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny, I'm confused by this combined with your other post. Are you saying you'd fold here? I can't see folding KQo and calling with KJs.

I think I'd call here (obvious call if bigstack has been pushing alot). What would you do?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a little too tight. I'd say 88+ A9+ KJs+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny, I'm confused by this combined with your other post. Are you saying you'd fold here? I can't see folding KQo and calling with KJs.

I think I'd call here (obvious call if bigstack has been pushing alot). What would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im running this off the top of my head as an estimate, and as it turns out, its damn close. This one would be a feel call for me, depending upon how I'm running, how I well I control the table,etc.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:44 PM

Some detail on the villains

He had gone all-in preflop 3 times in the last 9 hands (I had gone in 3 times as well over the last 9). All 4 opponents had played tight aggressive games although the other 3 weren't pushing preflop very often (they liked to see the flop).

I make this call 100% of the time - really the question I was aking is how low would you make this call (ie KJ? KT? QJs? A7? 55? etc) and am surprised that there was debate on the KQ call...

Good to here other's perspectives on this though.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:31 PM

This looks quite familiar to this hand I just played

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t947)
Button (t2524)
Hero (t1378)
BB (t3151)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG is all-in (t947),
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero folds.