Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Weird Wedding Gift (low content)

My friends are getting married and asked if I could gamble whatever money I was going to give them.

They said if I lose no wedding present.

I feel real weird about it but I figured wtf. If I lose I will just give them a present.

But I am feeling intense pressure gambling $200 at the 2-4. 30-60 is my regular game but for some reason this feels like more pressure.

Anyone have friends who ask this of you?

Who keeps the rakeback, I am kinda greedy I might keep it.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Weird Wedding Gift (low content)

Interesting...is there like an agreed upon point where you are going to stop playing for them? It seems that you are going to lose more by not playing your 30/60 then you can make at 2/4...

What about adding the 200 to your buy in at the 30/60 table and add and subtract the % of roll to and from their $200.

IE, buy in for 2000 instead of 1800, and take 10% of you winnings and add it to their $200 if you win, or subtract 10% if you lose. Give it a certain amount of time or certain profit margin for them and then quit.

Seems like that will keep you in the big game and make them and you more cash then if you sit at the 2/4 table only for them…and you get to keep your rakeback with no worries!

Just an idea...
Old 07-28-2005, 09:33 PM

This is one of the most annoying requests anyone ever asks me. I am in college and i have friends ask me every once in a while hey can i give u money and whatever u win give me ? My usual answer is if u can bankroll me in major tournements and cover my losses i will give u a percentage... oh, u dont have $10,000 ? oh well. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 PM

sit at 200 NL table

push preflop using some pre-determined chart. maybe take HOH starting hands, if he says raise you push (taking into consideration position and opponent action, ie KQs open-push but fold to raise etc).

IF your opponents all fold, repeat step 2

IF your opponent(s) call and you win, give your winnings to the happy couple

IF your opponent(s) call and you lose, buy a toaster
Old 07-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Interesting thought. I thought of that but the 30 is so much swingier, I kind of want to not push small edges and just win a bit. I think my true win rate at 2-4 is probably somewhere between 2-3 times true win rate at 30 so chance of loss I guess much lower.

I get a lot of requests where people say here's 50 can you gamble it for me. Normally that is annoying and I just say f off.

The thing about staying in my game is for me at least, I don't get that many hands in like I should at the 30. Here at the 2-4 I can just jump into four tables and gamble it up.

Right now I am up $150 and am pissed they are getting such a good wedding present.

One note editorially, it is incredible to me how much different these two games are. Not incredible but it is almost like two different games. One is all isolate raise, steal and defend blinds, deal with laggy donks who check raise every turn.

Other is like SSHE coming from print to my computer.

Edit to say if I lose it all they are getting a cheap ass present. Probably a regifter or Wal Mart special.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:53 PM

Hey man,

I would say just quit the 2/4 while you're up and give them the money. No more pressure for you and they'll be psyched I'm sure. Or, you could just sit there and grind them out a 30/60 bankroll. ;-)

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 07-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Hmmm....yeah Justin A is getting married in a week, instead of giving him a present I lost $200 playing $33 SNGs today.

Congrats Justin, you'll get nothing and like it.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:33 PM

Ended up playing 282 hands up 114. I figured the greedy bastards will be happy with 314.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:35 PM

Shouldn't u just have played a 200+15 SNG?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:40 PM

I didn't want to be in a position where 60% chance they were getting Jaclyn Smith gear.

If they were gamblers it woulda been fun just buying into a 215 multi.

But if I won I would just end the friendship.