Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-18-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Help w/Late gameplay in 22\'s

I'm trying to improve my late-stage/bubble game and have been thinking of this one scenario that occurred today over and over again.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

UTG (t3180)
MP (t2220)
Hero (t1220)
SB (t910)
BB (t470)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds.
MP folds.
Hero is all-In [1220]
SB folds.
BB is all-In [320]

Now what is everyone's thoughts on what to do here?

My reasoning was that BB was going to call with almost any two (turns out he thought about it for a long time before deciding to call, so there is always the chance that they fold.) and ace-8 is a favorite vs. two random cards. But should I have played it more safe to gurantee an ITM finish? I'm kind of split on what to do and would like some input from other people...
Old 07-18-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Help w/Late gameplay in 22\'s

This push is really, really obvious and anyone doing anything besides pushing should immediately come over to my table.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This push is really, really obvious and anyone doing anything besides pushing should immediately come over to my table.

[/ QUOTE ] Really obvious my ass. There is nothing wrong with folding in this spot and if you think there is than you are a closeminded robot of a person. You've just gotten into such a format of pushing here that you can't believe that any other move is appropriate. Has it ever occurred to you that your ROI could be better and this is a reason why it may be not? And I'll come over to your table any day of the week. What are you going to do to me in this spot? Raise my fold? Come on man, you need to hibernate your ego. You can be touched trust me.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:38 AM

Well I admit the way he phrased it wasnt that courteous, but folding is terrible, pushing is clearcut.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:46 AM

is my reasoning correct?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I admit the way he phrased it wasnt that courteous, but folding is terrible, pushing is clearcut.

[/ QUOTE ] You are closeminded as well. I sometimes wonder if you people even try anything differently to improve your ROI or ITM. You have so many premeditated moves that you are like robots. And God forbid you don't make a call when pot odds dictate it. That would be a system malfunction!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:00 AM

Ok, so maybe I should have found a better way to say "shove as fast as you can," but this really is a spot where you shove as fast as you can. You could try to run ICM calcs or something, but I don't see how you're supposed to lay this down.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:03 AM

A8 is not just a favorite over two random cards, it is a signifigant favorite.

And you really can't fold ITM here. Short stack is going to be doubling up a lot of the time, or picking up some pots, so you have little hope of trying to fold ITM, and passing up a spot like this is like folding AK to a all-in raise. Simply can't do it if you want to make money over the long term in this spot.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] You are closeminded as well. I sometimes wonder if you people even try anything differently to improve your ROI or ITM. You have so many premeditated moves that you are like robots. And God forbid you don't make a call when pot odds dictate it. That would be a system malfunction!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think pushing here is wrong, please justify your reasoning rather than fussing about non-specific examples of nothing at all.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:09 AM

before you declare me a robot as well--- i freely admit that this is an automatic push for me... virtually no thought involved in the decision at all ('cept that required to move the slider)

but, rather than just declaring us to be ok-computers--- what is your bubble strategy, and how is it better?