Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Where is the horrible mistake?

ugh, just ugh.

I have no read on the opponent, he sat down 6 hands ago and hasn't played a single one. I'm sure this is a bad call preflop, I played it horribly weak-tight. I think I should have just pushed preflop and hoped for the best. Who pushes preflop here? Does anyone actually fold? And of course, everyone calls the flop bet because of the odds. I'm a dumbass and yes, this hand basically ended my tournament.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t5464)
MP3 (t13874)
CO (t2382)
Hero (t14825)
SB (t10249)
BB (t13920)
UTG (t9266)
UTG+1 (t4185)
MP1 (t7901)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t5600</font>, Hero calls t2400.

Flop: (t11550) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t4000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t8270</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t23820

edit: my "gut" told me he had AQ when he reraised me. Could have been jacks, could have been AK, dunno. still pissed at self.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Where is the horrible mistake?

you should have reraised all in before the flop, you want to see 5 cards.
I don't understand if you think his raise means AQ how you don't reraise here, you want to see all 5 cards.
A big possibility is he thinks your on a blind steal because your raising from the button and he has a playable hand.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:56 AM

I would definitely raise pre-flop. You're raise could look like a blind steal and he could be re-raising you with lots of hands including Ax and Kx. You're clearly a favorite pre-flop so get your chips in the middle.

I don't think you're flop bet was bad. It's large enough that you're telling him you're committed to pot and in many ways is stronger than pushing. You're getting almost 6 to 1 odds when he pushes. That's good enough to require a call.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:12 PM

This morning I woke up thinking the stop and go was the perfect play here. Anything he was playing back with preflop that misses he pretty much has to fold and he could possibly fold hands that beat me like a low PP.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:43 PM

tough one..
As other stated, he might just have felt that your preflop raise was a steal attempt, consired your late position. He might have had a reasonable hand like JQ, which could explain the reraise preflop, if he truely believed you only tried to steal the pot...
After his reraise I would have pushed allin by the way..
Old 07-16-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This morning I woke up thinking the stop and go was the perfect play here. Anything he was playing back with preflop that misses he pretty much has to fold and he could possibly fold hands that beat me like a low PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't stop and go from the button. Just reraise all-in preflop.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:59 PM

fnurt,

You don't post enough dammit.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-16-2005, 03:10 PM

Your biggest mistake is folding when most of your chips were in the pot. Either reraise BTF or call on the flop when checkraised. You can't fold when 80% of your stack is in play. You may have the best hand or you may make the best hand. It appears like you're behind on the
flop, but with the pot size and your small stack you can not fold.

Bruce