Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Capping the turn correct here?

Typical PP micro-table (Loose, passive, with occassional craziness thrown in). UTG cold-called preflop, so I really didn't have him on a higher pocket pair, and to me his finger being stuck on the "raise" button screamed flush draw. Button was likewise calling the whole way, so maybe flush draw as well?

All comments appreciated.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (19.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (31.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 34.25 BB
Old 07-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Capping the turn correct here?

You didn't cap the turn, but your play looks good to me. On the turn you are only behind to JJ, and that seems unlikely given the pre-flop play. It wouldn't surprise me to see JJ not 3bet preflop from a typical donk, but I think that same type of player would have played it timidly on the flop as well (afraid of a higher PP). I think you are up against 55 or 22.

Nice hand.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:10 PM

^^^ I was thinking JJ too, but JJ would raise/cap this river.

(Grunching)

Capping the flop makes some sense for a flush draw, but then capping the turn? I really don't know what he could have at this point, unless it was AhJh or something and got a bit overzealous. If it was solely a flush draw he'd have folded the turn. I like all streets at any rate.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:16 PM

You're not actually capping this turn, but 3-betting is good. You have a monster hand, and you played it aggressively on all streets. Looks fine to me.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:29 PM

I think you meant to ask whether 3-betting the turn was correct. And, I think it is. You're only behind to an amazing 3-combination JJ. Looks like set-over-set?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 PM

I don't understand the question because UTG+1 capped the turn not you.

But it looks good to me. If one of them has JJ (or 34, you never know at microlimits) they are going to win some money off of me. But the way it was played, I don't see JJ.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't cap the turn, but your play looks good to me. On the turn you are only behind to JJ, and that seems unlikely given the pre-flop play. It wouldn't surprise me to see JJ not 3bet preflop from a typical donk, but I think that same type of player would have played it timidly on the flop as well (afraid of a higher PP). I think you are up against 55 or 22.

Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right... I'm an idiot and did not cap the turn.. he did. I should have said that I *would* have capped the turn.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:44 PM

I don't think it's likely that UTG+1 has a flush draw when he raises the turn, although it is possible. I think a lower set is more more likely with a high pocket pair also being likely. You could be against someone who picked up a straight/flush draw on the turn or a crazy player.

Either way I play it the same.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:46 PM

Wondering...

we can't protect our hand on the turn, so should we be check/raising for value?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:48 PM

Well played on all streets.