Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Turn c/r correct here?

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that he got scared of a possible flush. Would you still check-raise if a non-heart came up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grunching

I am not sure about the raise on the turn? What could he be raising with on the flop? He could have a 10, pocket 7's, or he might have a flush draw. If he has a T, he has a better kicker I almost guarantee, and when the turn comes out, it completes the possible flush.
So my question is, why the raise? What is your reasoning here considering he raised the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

To find out if he's serious about thinking he has the best hand, or if he's instead on a couple of overcards (trying to clean up those behind him), a semi-weak 7, a flush draw, or a better 10 (least likely).

If he raises me on the turn, then he's either made his flush, has a better 10, or is clinically insane. Or pocket 7s, but I doubt he'd raise the flop and blast the others out with a flopped boat.

If I get 3-bet on the turn, then I'm cursing those "damn BB trap hands" and calling, and probably check/calling and check/folding the river about 50/50.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then betting the turn after I just call the flop raise is probably thought of (by him) as a semi-bluff. After I raise him, he starts thinking "Big Blind? This cat could have a 10."

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you want him to think you have a ten that's the whole premise of the Fundamental theorum of Poker. If he thinks you leading the turn is a semi-bluff that's great that's what you want him to think.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:15 PM

Oh. I guess I don't understand why you don't save 1 BB by 3-betting the flop instead of check-raising the turn.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

why would you want him to think you have a ten that's the whole premise of the Fundamental theorum of Poker. If he thinks you leading the turn is a semi-bluff that's great that's what you want him to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I posted the hand. Did I get as many BBs out of him as I could? Should I call the turn as well, then donk the river, or go for the check-raise then? The only way I'm getting 3BB is if he raises my river lead, or calls the check-raise (if the c/r works.)
Old 07-13-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh. I guess I don't understand why you don't save 1 BB by 3-betting the flop instead of check-raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really only saving 1/2 of a BB. If I 3-bet the flop, then lead both turn and river, and if he calls, I make 2.5BB. I see what you mean. I'd have to be pretty sure he doesn't have a better 10, and I honestly don't know that on the flop raise.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:20 PM

I`d check-call turn and river(UI) because we`re possibly beat.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I`d check-call turn and river(UI) because we`re possibly beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That's a line I hadn't considered yet. Smells of MUB syndrome to me.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:03 PM

FLOP: Looks like it might be worth a shot to Stop and Go by not 3betting the flop since 3 players folded to MP's raise and it's HU now. The pot is not real big.

TURN: Looks good.

RIVER: Looks good.

Now that I think about it, it seems unlikely that Villian had a flush draw because if he did he wouldn't want to drive out overcallers on the flop. Since he doesn't have a flush draw, he might get scared of the flush card and check through the turn, so betting out there seems like it has better chances of collecting a bet. If he raises again, he most likely has a ten with a better kicker or possibly an overpair like 88 or maybe better.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:47 PM

While I think a flush is unlikely, betting out is probably the better solution here. If you're 3-bet on a check-raise, you're almost certainly beaten by a higher 10 or a flush. You can learn the same info with bet/calling, saving one bet. This outweighs any bets gained on a check-raise IMO.