Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-05-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Standard play on all streets?

Was trying to extract the maximum (especially from the sandwiched caller in the middle) the correct play? What about when the board pairs on the river? With my river bet, I was in bet/call mode.

All comments appreciated.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

River: (20.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 23.25 BB
Old 07-05-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Standard play on all streets?

I think that you played it perfectly. Check/call on the flop to hide your strength when the bets are cheap. Bet/3-Bet on 4th street when the betting goes up. I think that you got the max value from your hand.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:36 PM

The fact that button went to war with you on the turn and that MP1 still called is a good example of why the flop slowplay wasn't necessary. I'd lead the flop, hoping to get raised so I can three bet; on the most coordinated flop in the history of poker, MP can probably find a reason to call, even though they're both drawing near-dead.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:59 PM

Button was at war with you preflop. If anything, capping preflop and then checking the flop makes you look STRONGER not weaker.

Bet out the flop. When button raises you (and he will), call. Then, bet out the turn blank and watch him go crazy, and keep going crazy on the river, too.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that button went to war with you on the turn and that MP1 still called is a good example of why the flop slowplay wasn't necessary. I'd lead the flop, hoping to get raised so I can three bet; on the most coordinated flop in the history of poker, MP can probably find a reason to call, even though they're both drawing near-dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think MP1 will follow us the whole way with a capped flop, all the way until the river? I was pretty sure that the action was getting capped on the turn, and I wanted to string MP1 along as far as possible... once he got trapped into the turn action, I wanted him to see the pot as "too big to fold."

So you're saying that jamming the flop as well extracts the maximum from both players?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button was at war with you preflop. If anything, capping preflop and then checking the flop makes you look STRONGER not weaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This applies to the standard Party .50/1 player? Is he really noticing a sudden slowpay and sensing strength... or is he instead sensing that I have no diamonds?

[ QUOTE ]
Bet out the flop. When button raises you (and he will), call. Then, bet out the turn blank and watch him go crazy, and keep going crazy on the river, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. This play extracts 1SB more from each player. Makes sense. Man... I still have so much to learn.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This applies to the standard Party .50/1 player? Is he really noticing a sudden slowpay and sensing strength... or is he instead sensing that I have no diamonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your typical PP micro-player is thinking about his hand and the board and that's pretty much it.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your typical PP micro-player is thinking about his hand and the board and that's pretty much it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've seen posted on here pretty much all the time, and that makes sense. But bozlax's line is a bit better than mine, I think, if that will guarantee that Button will ram and jam the river, which I don't think he'd do after the flop action... but bozlax would know more than I would.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really think MP1 will follow us the whole way with a capped flop, all the way until the river? I was pretty sure that the action was getting capped on the turn, and I wanted to string MP1 along as far as possible...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure enough to push it on the flop. MP's first turn call was actually giving him worse pot odds than if he had to call your bet on the flop, and he still made that one. Plus, people are usually looser calling on the small streets than the big ones.

[ QUOTE ]
once he got trapped into the turn action, I wanted him to see the pot as "too big to fold."

[/ QUOTE ]
That's true, you do want him to think this. But I think it becomes even more effective on the turn if you bloat the pot on the flop.