Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 11:47 PM

Default 40-80 at the wynn. . . .

key players in the hand. co is a fishy guy who knows everyone so is prob a regular. A few hands before he called 3 cold with 43c, he plays too many hands, pays off a lot, but is occasionally tricky and often hard to read but you'r love playing with him all the time. The button is jv's friend from chicago that I met last year so we have been shooting the breeze since I sat down like an hour ago. This guy is real funny because he is a real nice guy, but he just yells whatever is on his mind, and if he disagrees with anyone he will just yell his viewpoint in an abrasive, confrontational way. It's funny. This may or may not come into play in hand I'm not sure. The bb is a card player author, but I get the impression he couldn't handle an aggro party 15 game. My friend Nate is in ep. He was not in the hand but is worthy of note because he sports a hairstyle that I bet will soon sweep the nation - the Co-Mo, or "corporate mohawk." His hair is short but it naturally rests brushed into a wannabe mohawk. . . onto the hand. . .

the fishy guy raises in the co which means nothing. jv's friend 3 bets, which means nothing. I have AQd in the sb. The bb, card player author will prob fold here, and i don't want to cap and lead into a calling station and a solid player, plus jv's friend will discredit my cap as an obvious big hand, knowing I would be capable of making this play with a larger range of hands than normal. So, I coldcalled to make a hand or cr a good flop. I figured the card player guy would fold almost everything here, and was in little danger of a cap, since the initial raiser probably had dust anyways. but, the bb called and so did the co.

flop 4 4 9, if it checks to jv's friend, I am going to cr. If it is one bet to me I am going to call. It cr's to jv's friend and I cr. The bb folds, but the co calls 2, d'oh. jv's friend calls.

Turn: x, i think a 6. I lead into them, the co folds and jv's friend calls.

River: 3. Ok, I check, and he thinks for the perfect amount of time to think that he has a clear value bet and there is no way he is not getting it. I am sure he thought there was no way I would fold the river ever, given how I played the hand. Honestly, I sat there thinking there is no way I could possibly win. the pot was big, and online I wouldn't consider folding for a second, but here I decided there was no way my hand was good. As I am thinking though, the co yells angrily, "I want to see both these hands after the flop. . .," implying that since jv's friend and I were telling stories and shooting the bull, that there may be some foul play in this hand. Anyways, I folded the hand. The guy still said he wanted to see my hand even though I folded. He probably wanted to see the hand because he couldn't imagine what I fold here given how I played the hand. Now, what does everyone think of my fold?
Old 06-26-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: 40-80 at the wynn. . . .

Did he bet the river? If so, I check-raise that river.

Lawrence
Old 06-26-2005, 12:07 AM

I think you have to 4bet this preflop. In Vegas it's a five bet cap so you're not capping the action. Being out of position is more reason to put in more bets preflop with such a strong hand.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:28 AM

"Being out of position is more reason to put in more bets preflop with such a strong hand. "

what do you mean by this?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:32 AM

Default side note. . .

ok, the guy i described as a card player author had said his last article was about implied odds. I just looked at card player and there is an article called "the problem with implied odds" by jim brier. i looked for a photo but can't find one. has anyone played with him or have a photo or a description?
Old 06-26-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Being out of position is more reason to put in more bets preflop with such a strong hand. "

what do you mean by this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand is much easier to play postflop when you 4bet. Also, you've most likely got an equity edge preflop where your position doesn't matter. Out of position when you've under represented your hand is not a fun place to be.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to 4bet this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd have also value bet the river. I don't really like the fold.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:04 PM

"Did he bet the river? If so, I check-raise that river."

This is a really good idea. FWIW the 3 bet cold-call/auto c/r is fine with me.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:57 PM

Check-raising the river is awful and will never get a fold by a better hand. It's giving away money. The correct play is to fold.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 PM

jv, I'm glad that you contributed after the thread had been buried. The river cr idea at first kind of shocked me because, frankly, it never entered my mind, during or even after the hand, and I couldn't decide if it was expert or pure and simple dusting of chips. . . You can prob vouch for the fact that he is not folding anything here, esp given the range of hands he would put me an after my preflop coldcall.