Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Most worthless forum on 2+2?

I'm not including a poll...we have enough of those already.

My vote is for Politics. Very little 'discussion.' Same people making same arguments. I think reading it actually makes me angry (regardless of point of view).
Old 06-25-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Most worthless forum on 2+2?

Worse than World Poker Tour?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:51 PM

The partisanship on 2+2 right now makes the forum very hard to read if you don't like flame wars.

If I was mod of this forum, I'd probably delete half the threads on the front page.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:00 PM

On a serious note, I think it lacks diversity of opinion. The conservatives seems to agree among them on most issues as well as liberals. A few eurowhackos like me post and we generally agree on most things too. I am not posting much anymore, since I feel I am just repeating myself since it is the same issues everytime.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:16 PM

Internet forum. Unless you really want to get into depth about "online poker is rigged". Though these conspiracy posts about 9/11 being some American/Israeli conspiracy make we wonder if the political forum is much better.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:18 PM

what worries me is the fact that the wild conspiracy theory posts are the ones that are most read.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:28 PM

Don't worry, I'm here now

-Matt (Porsche N Guns)
Old 06-25-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My vote is for Politics. Very little 'discussion.' Same people making same arguments. I think reading it actually makes me angry (regardless of point of view).

[/ QUOTE ]

I bolded what I think is far and away the worst aspect of the Politics forum.

Copy & pasted, 20k word articles with follow up comments from the poster that read like "See?! Anyone who disagrees with this is a retard, ipso facto that this article exists and I posted it here! Now discuss" are also annoying.

But, IMO, the politics forum is annoying simply because politics is annoying.

A relatively famous study of public opinion is done every election cycle by the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan; one constant finding of the study is that among the executive, judicial, and legislative branches of the federal government, Congress consistently enjoys the lowest approval/favorablity rating of the three. The study concluded that it had little to do with which party was in control of Congress, or what Congress had recently accomplished/not accomplished.

What the study did conclude was that Americans just hated disagreement. Most had little patience for, or understood the rationale behind a body that spends a great deal of its time incapacitated by debate. The typical respondent involved in the study just assumed that answers to complicated policy questions were obvious, and that most rational people frequently come to a clear consensus when faced with a policy question. Political debate, according to most survey participants, is just relatively pointless partisan wrangling.

I can’t locate a link to this study; but I was able to locate this article from The Hill ; here’s an excerpt that refers to what I’m getting at:

“Voters see Congress as consumed with partisanship, which they understand to be an unprincipled battle for political advantage. Debate, they believe, is not philosophical disagreement, but an ominous sign of social dysfunction. Americans have faith in the notion that reasonable people, motivated only by the public good, could easily agree. Debate itself is taken as a sign that pernicious influences have entered into the decision making process.”
-----------------------
My point in this: I think this forum, and politics in general, gets people so angry because some just have a relatively small threshold for disagreement and debate.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry, I'm here now
-Matt (Porsche N Guns)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing personal, but your post titled something like "Republicans are HateMongering Racists" was exactly what makes this board terrible. 20k words that look C&Ped from some blog (my apologies if its not) plus some links. There's 10 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:57 PM

Hate replying to my own post.

First, I posted in the wrong forum. I was going to bring this up in OOT, but lost track of where I was. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Second, it actually had a GOOD unintended side effect. I was happy to see that there are Politics surfers who are just as displeased as I. I enjoy good debate--in fact, I like reading posts where I think I at least learn someone has a different perspective.

I'm not going to point fingers. The left and right 'standard bearers' on here have absolutely ruined this. It's the 2+2 version of the talking head..."I'm right, I'll always be right, and you are a commie/fascist if you don't agree with me."