Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Might be forfeiting my WSOP Main Event seat, am I crazy?

Hello hello. Well as many of you know I won my WSOP seat in February for free, originally I didnt even plan on trying to qualify for it but just ran into it kind of. After winning I have reserved a flight, and hotel (about $1,000). So overall I am in this $1,000 and add about $500 for food/drink while in Vegas. I have been really excited about going and consider it a chance of a lifetime, especially if I brought my luckbox and got into the money. However, at best I think I would be 20% to make the money, 2x that of the straight mathematics. Anyhoo, now comes the problem. I am going to be a senior in college and have moved off campus and will need rent money for the year ($4K or so), now I have been set up with an interview for the Massachusetts government for a 3 month seasonal job that pays $20,000. This is unreal wages for summer employment and is about 3x that of what I could get elsewhere, however, they would likely not be able to allow me the week for the WSOP off and I am actually thinking about not going for the sake of the job as it is a guaranteed $20K + a good resume booster. Am I crazy for considering skipping the WSOP?
~Justin
Old 05-22-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Might be forfeiting my WSOP Main Event seat, am I crazy?

World Series of Poker World Champion looks pretty nice on a resume too... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they would likely not be able to allow me the week

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to at least find out for sure on this.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they would likely not be able to allow me the week

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to at least find out for sure on this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I plan on it, however, this is working for the DER (Dept of Environmental Conservation) running a campground, so it would be during a real busy time.
~Justin
Old 05-22-2005, 10:05 PM

Wow. That's a toughie.

$20k for 3 months is obviously quite substantial so I'm leaning towards advising taking the job and skipping the WSOP.
There will be future WSOP's obviously.

It's okay if you decide to skip....I'll be more than happy to win the whole thing in your absence.

Have you OFFICIALLY determined that they wouldn't be able to let you go for a a couple days (and then perhaps adjust if you go deep into the tourney)??

Can you find a spot in Vegas where they won't hear the jingling slots and just pull a Ferris Bueller on them??
Old 05-22-2005, 10:05 PM

take the job and get sick the week of the WSOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2005, 10:07 PM

You're nuts if you go for the job, sensible normal option as it may be.

You're passing up 11k value in the hand so you can go work for 3 months to get 20k...?! Sling the job interview, go to the WSOP, and when that's over, play poker for the summer and make 30k...in addition to anything you might make if you money in vegas...!

I'm disappointed in your thinking process.. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

edit: 30k may be an overestimate; diunno what you play. But forfeiting the seat effectively means you're only gonna be gaining 9k for your 3 months work.

2nd edit: Besides, you'll prob regret it for the rest of your life, hah. if you pass up the WSOP. You'll be miserable the whole WSOP ME week and always think..What if, What if..! How do you assign value to that...!?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
take the job and get sick the week of the WSOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i don't know for sure, however, a friend applied for a similar job in another region within Mass and they were against time off. If it comes down to it I believe I will just take the job and cry all week of the main event, then regret it for the rest of my life, hah.
~Justin
Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 PM

I think you skip it and take the job. Holding a real job the summer before you to find permanent employement proved invaluable for my friends that did it and those that didn't paid the price. Guess you'll have to change your Loc though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Good luck, that is a heckuva decision.

Card
Old 05-22-2005, 10:20 PM

I vow if you take the job, and I end up winning, I promise I will say "It coulda been you, Jurollo" in my post tourney interview. I have such schadenfraude.

In all honesty...take the job. If nothing else, take it, find one day vacation to go to your day 1 seat, and move all in every hand, followed by showing each hand. Hey, it'd be a hell of a lot of fun to see how the other players handle it, and more enjoyable than just forfeiting.