Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Stud Question

I should know this but I never play.

If a table is 8 handed what do they do if everyone stays in until the end?

Also, what is the rule about double bets on one street if a pair is showing or something?

TIA
Old 05-08-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Stud Question

If they run out of cards and have enough in the muck, then the muck is reshuffled and dealt. If not enough cards remain in the muck, then the river is dealt in the middle of the table as a community card.

I believe the double bet is any street after 4th, and says that any player may make a double size bet on 4th street. But I'm ignorant about some of the details (for example, I don't think it applies past the round where the pair appears but I could be wrong). Also this rule has no application in spread limit games, and I mostly play 1-3 in the Connecticut woods hence my ignorance.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:36 PM

In a limit game, on 4th street if someone pairs up, anybody is permitted to make a double bet, and if the initial person makes a single bet, anybody cn still raise double (for example in a 1/2 game if one person bets one, another person can make it a double round by betting three instead of the normal two, and all bets on this round are now two dollars instead of one.) 5th street on the betting is normal.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:39 PM

Cool, thanks for your answers.

Stud seems like a hard game, keeping track of cards etc.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:23 PM

Remembering cards is not that hard. In the beginning, just make sure that your watching to see if your cards are dead or not. After a couple thousand hands, it becomes second nature and you can remember whats gone by without really having to think about it. Plus, stud's more fun and more profitable than those crappy holdem' games....
(ive been doing pimsleur language courses at the same time ive been playing and i still remember all the cards while having to think up answers to questions in a foriegn language).
Old 05-08-2005, 11:29 PM

It's definitely a lot of work to maximize your use of the available information. However, at low limits few people are keeping track of the dead cards as they should. If you can track the cards necessary to make your hand (e.g. the same ranks, adjoining ranks if drawing to a straight, the suit if drawing to a flush) you should be OK.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i still remember all the cards while having to think up answers to questions in a foriegn language).

[/ QUOTE ]

English being the foreign language?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:13 AM

If everyone stays until the end, 7th street is dealt face-up in the center of the table and is a common card.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:14 PM

The reason I asked is I feel I should branch out a bit from HE, and I just have the gut feeling from what I have read that 7CS is a fantastic and complex game.

I played a little of the lowest limit on party and then played one low limit 7cs multi (final tabled thank you very much). I think I was the fish in the multi, at least until bubble time when I just bullied people.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:16 PM

Three things about stud.

1) 3rd street play is far more complex than HE preflop play.
2) Your biggest decision after that is 5th street, since if you call on 5th it's wrong to fold on 6th almost 100% of the time.
3) You get outdrawn more often in Stud than in HE.

I personally prefer Stud/8 to Stud hi, especially for MTTs.