Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: baby geese and beavers

Animals are wonderful. I just returned from a causal slow crawl through miles and miles of 'nothing'. Saw many interesting birds: hawks, ravens, hummingbirds, doves, quail, geese, swallows, Redwinged Black Birds, Spotted Sandpiper, Black-throated Sparrow, Rufus-crowded Sparrow, Goldfinch, House Finch, Western Kingbird, Gray Flycatcher, Rock wren, Catus Wren, and a few birds I could not identify. A variety of lizards, some very colorful, were also around as were some deer. I also encountered many rabbits and a few coyotes - all rather dead looking - flattened by vehicles and dried out by the sun.

-Zeno
Old 05-02-2005, 03:22 AM

Zeno,

My mom, who is a very domesticated person, hit a large deer once. The crash killed my mom's van. When the sheriff came to the scene, he saw the deer was still alive. So the sheriff pulled out his gun and blew it's brains out right in front of my mom. She screamed like a girl.

I figured you might enjoy that story.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:37 AM

I have hit two deer in my life, both times the deer got up and ran away, but that does not mean they survived. Many times they have internal injuries and die later on.

My dad hit a deer once, at night, with all of us kids in the car. The deer got thrown down in the ditch and was still breathing and a high school kid we knew, that saw it happen, stopped and shot it in the head with a .22 pistol he had. Then he took it home as my dad did not want to deal with it. That was illeagl of course but a normal practice where I grew up.

-Zeno
Old 05-02-2005, 03:37 AM

We have at least one squirrel per week fall in our pool during the summer, and drown.

It's pretty sad, especially when I have to pick it up with the skimmer and toss it over the fence.

Kinda icky.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:41 AM

I bet that one duckling that made it across grows up to be a badass base jumper.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:19 AM

I'm just wondering who the jerk was that took those pictures, knowing what was going to happen and not saving them.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The deer got thrown down in the ditch and was still breathing and a high school kid we knew, that saw it happen, stopped and shot it in the head with a .22 pistol he had. Then he took it home as my dad did not want to deal with it. That was illeagl of course but a normal practice where I grew up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that illegal?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:06 PM

as touching as this is, and as glad as i am to here that you are communing with nature, you have no idea how disappointed i was when i saw that this thread was totally safe for work...

peace

john nickle
Old 05-02-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just wondering who the jerk was that took those pictures, knowing what was going to happen and not saving them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy who took the picture was the one who saved them...
Old 05-02-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The deer got thrown down in the ditch and was still breathing and a high school kid we knew, that saw it happen, stopped and shot it in the head with a .22 pistol he had. Then he took it home as my dad did not want to deal with it. That was illeagl of course but a normal practice where I grew up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is that illegal?

[/ QUOTE ]
it's an illegal take of a game animal. probably was out of season, etc.