Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 03-05-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Foxwoods Act I & II Tournaments

Does anybody here have experience playing the Act tournaments for the NEPC? I'm curious, in general, how tough the competition is. If it's possible to compare them to different buy-in levels of NL STT at Stars, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods Act I & II Tournaments

How tough is the competition? It isn't. Admittedly, I've only played one of each, but in the ones I played, there were one or two people I thought might be better than me. Note that I'd primarily a limit player, and relatively clueless when in comes no NL tournaments. If you play STTs regularly, you should be able to get the top 3 as long as you don't get unlucky. I think you could expect to cash well over 50% of the time.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 AM

Hi.

I was wondering the same thing before the WPF in October/November last year. I was taking a vacation in the US and wanted to try playing B+M poker for the first time. I'd only played online for less than a year, and didn't consider myself to be any better than a novice. Yet, I managed to get ACT II tickets in all but one attempt. I also managed to get a few 2nds and 3rds in the ACT IIs, but unfortunately no ticket into an ACT III. But the bottom line is that it's probably not as tough as you think.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:14 PM

Neither of them are very tough. The more solid NL players buy directly into Act III generally. I have a couple Act II coupons sitting around from Act I's I have won.
~Justin
Old 03-06-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How tough is the competition? It isn't. Admittedly, I've only played one of each, but in the ones I played, there were one or two people I thought might be better than me. Note that I'd primarily a limit player, and relatively clueless when in comes no NL tournaments. If you play STTs regularly, you should be able to get the top 3 as long as you don't get unlucky. I think you could expect to cash well over 50% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. to paraphrase hellmuth, if there were no luck involved I'd win every one of these things. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Wait a minute, I believe I did, NEPC main event baby!
Old 03-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the information. I'm looking to get some experience playing live, and I was thinking of starting with these Act tournaments. Looks like I'll give them a shot.

My next decision will be whether to buy into the Act II's directly, or start with Act I. I will probably just start with Act I until I get comfortable with the whole "live" thing, even though the VIG is the same for both I's and II's.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Toro,
What day did you play your ACT III and how big was the field? How about the competition? I'm playing in ACT III this Sunday so I'd love any info you can share on your ACT III experience.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:40 PM

based on reading the website, they sound really strict about when you can use your act 3 entry - something like one of the next two available tourneys.

are they actually that strict? i live in boston so it's a hike.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
based on reading the website, they sound really strict about when you can use your act 3 entry - something like one of the next two available tourneys.

are they actually that strict? i live in boston so it's a hike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you have to decide when they give you the coupon which of the next two Act 3s you want to use it for.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:52 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

I had planned on playing them last week when I was there Thursday. But I wound up making a final table in the morning $60 tourney (180+ players) so I was pretty tired after that and didn't feel like sticking around.

So now I'll have to travel another 100 miles there to play in the Act tourneys. It used to be that you'd play an Act I and had to come in the top 2 to move on to an Act II, and then in 1st to move on to an Act III.

It should be relatively easy to finish in the top 3 in both Act I and II satellites. The Act III you'll need to be one in 11.55 players in order to win your way into the main event.