Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 06:36 PM

Default KK hand...part one

5-5 game. I have about $700 and raise utg for $25. My image is definitely tight. A loose-aggro raises to $75. He has about $1500. 3 loose players call the $75 cold. each has about $800. Their calls could mean anything.
The action's back to you. What's your play?
Old 12-21-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: KK hand...part one

Make it $300 and try to end it here. If someone comes over the top - read dependendent - but you probably have to muck - Unless these guys are bad enough to make that move w AK or QQ.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:58 PM

I don't understand why you would say this. There is already $335 in the pot. Making it $300 is half the hero's stack, which is essentially pot committing him because if he's reraised he'll be getting at least 3-to-1 on a call. The only hand that has him at worse odds is AA, and considering the villain is described as loose aggressive, you cannot possibly put him on that as his only possible holding, so you are getting correct odds to push no matter what. And obviously hero is ahead of any other hand preflop.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:12 PM

I like this sort of question. It's fairly elementary, I mean, it's obvious you have to raise, but it can offer great "pseudo experience" for people learning.

I would make it $400 in total, and pray for QQ or JJ to try to bust me.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:19 PM

Can you be more specific and say which part of the Slut's analysis you disagree with?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:24 PM

I don't subscribe to the I'll go broke preflop if I have KK and someone else happens to have AA line. In this case I wasn't worried about villain, but more one of the callers - I flat call in position w/ AA often.

To me, pushing here just seems counter productive - You're only getting called by AA. If you put in a solid raise without pushing, you may still get a call from AK or QQ and have a chance to get the rest of their money on the flop.

But what do I know...
Old 12-21-2004, 10:39 PM

I thought the general consensus was not to three-bet KK because you make it too easy to play correctly. Everyone will call with AA and fold anything else.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:46 PM

With this many people in the pot, I think you have to do something to at least thin the field - I don't really want to play KK out of position with 4 way action in a raised & re-rasied pot - How do you even know which cards should scare you on the flop? If any A,Q,J or T comes how good are you going to feel? I want to get heads-up, hopefully w QQ or AK.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:05 AM

I didn't say push. I said that if he raises to $300 preflop (as you said) he cannot fold if he is reraised as you recommend.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:25 AM

Default KK hand...part Two

I raised $300 to $325 all day. All fold to late postion who poneders and calls. I really wanted to take it down there and felt this was a sufficent size raise to do it.

I want to add that any player in this hand would come over the top with Aces. The original raiser likes to re-raise all types of hands and the callers were most likely calling because of the odds. The player that called me is a loose gambler and not at all a sophisticated player. His range of hands here would be any big suited Ace or any pair 8's and up.
Stack sizes are about equal. I have $475 left and he has about $450.

Given the description of the situation, the flop comes:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I push. Anyone play it differently?