Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 12:12 PM

Default River Value Bet?

10-20 Hold 'Em at Rising Sun, IN. Three main players in the hand: Big Blind is the textbook definition of a maniac --- raises on nothing, gutshots, etc...can literally turn over any two cards. CO-1 hasn't shown any aggression in the two laps he's been at the table. Haven't seen him show down a hand yet, so no real read on him. I'm on the button, and the third player of consequence in the hand. I've shown down a couple of winners; my table image is tight/aggressive. Table has been playing on the loose/passive side, except when maniac decides to go off. On to the hand:

Three limpers to me, and I limp along on the button with pocket 6's. I don't want to raise and play the hand four way, so I limp trying to keep the blinds interested in the hopes that I'll get paid off better if I flop a set. And if this turns out to be a hand where maniac (who's in the BB) decides he wants to pop it on crap pre-flop, then that's fine with me playing six-handed for two bets. SB calls, and the BB knuckles. Six to the flop for six small bets.

Flop comes K-6-5, w/two spades (neither of my sixes are the spade six). Check, check, check, check, CO-1 bets, I call, SB folds, BB calls, other two fold. Three to the turn for nine small bets. Turn is a duece (not a spade). BB checks, CO-1 bets, I raise, BB now makes it 3 bets. CO-1 calls two more, and I cap. BB & CO-1 both call. 16.5 big bets in the pot.

River comes the Ace of Spades. BB checks, CO-1 checks. Do you bet the river or take the free showdown?
Old 10-29-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: River Value Bet?

Bet and threebet?

-Michael
Old 10-29-2004, 12:15 PM

sorry, typoed the flop. Should be k-6-5, not k-6-2
Old 10-29-2004, 12:16 PM

I used to always check here but I am learning to value bet. This is clearly a value bet but I will let others go into more detail on why it is.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:32 PM

Here's the thing about flushes. First, they're tough to get. They're usually not out there. Second, when people hit them on the river, they often bet out because they are afraid that other players will check it down because nobody value bets the river enough. I mean, you are thinking about checking down a set here. Players see this over and over again and they bet out with their flushes.

Plus, all the action on the turn makes it less likely anyone has a flush. People don't usually go chucking raises around to charge themselves more money when there's no chance their opponents fold.

Unless you have compelling reason to expect a checkraise, such as a strong player calling two bets cold twice (who despite the obviousness of his hand chooses to check the river), you should bet here every time.

-Michael
Old 10-29-2004, 12:37 PM

After everyone checks to me I bet here everytime. You'll find your good here more often than not, and you'll get paid off.