Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Default A-6 soooted

Hi all,

Loose semi aggressive 10-20 game. 4 players limp, I complete in the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], BB checks. All players except the button are scared of dangerous boards. The button is pretty aggressive, but a tad on the cautious side against me.

6 players see the flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
I check, checked to the Button who bets, I raise, all fold to button who calls.

Turn comes: green 7. (5-6-7)7. I bet, he calls.
River: 7. (5-6-7-7)7. I check, he bets, I call.

How did I do?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:27 AM

Default Re: A-6 soooted

[ QUOTE ]
The button is pretty aggressive, but a tad on the cautious side against me.

[/ QUOTE ]

this proviso to the button's play really only matters a lot on the river. i play the rest of the hand exactly like you did. button could be betting a lot here and you're 6's ace kicker likely beat whatever he's betting...the turn bet is an extenstion of the flop play and correct imo. you can't check that turn. if he raises you may have to release though as a result of the above proviso (it depends WHICH factor you weigh more: his aggressiveness in general, or his cautiousness against YOU). therefore good flop and turn play.

river though...you say hes cautious against you. to me, that means he'll bet fewer hands that you beat (meaning the proportion, "hands you don't beat/hands you do beat" increases if you give him the option of betting or checking behind and the above proviso is correct). but if YOU bet, his calling frequency doesn't change that much because its often cautious to call so he'll likely call with more hands that you beat including hands he wouldn't have bet after you check...i think its a river bet given the proviso BUT in general i check to aggressive players because by their very nature they will not call with as many hands as they bet but will bet many hands you beat after you check to them thus maximizing what you take away from them on the river.

-Barron
Old 07-15-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: A-6 soooted

Hi Dcifer,
Thanks for the response.

My thought on checking the river was that my hand also played like a straight draw or a made straight. With three 7's on the board it looks like I suddenly hate my hand by checking. I thought this would give him an opportunity to take a stab at the pot.