Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 04-08-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Pocket 6\'s in the Blind

30-60, been playing fairly tight, but not too tough.
2 ok players limp in MP, weak-tight raises on the button, I call in the BB with red 6's.
The flop comes: 2-5-Q rainbow. I bet, 2 MP limpers fold. Weak tight calls.

Turn: Another Q (2-5-Q). I bet.

Comments?
Old 04-08-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Pocket 6\'s in the Blind

I don't like the flop bet. "ok players" limp with a lot of queens in their hands, and your preflop raiser is probably calling you down with JJ, TT etc... I just don't like trying to run my $30 through the 3 man gauntlet. Do you ever checkraise in this spot instead? This shuts out the middle guys when they have 77-99.
You are committed to betting the turn after you have bet the flop and become headsup.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:40 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Pocket 6\'s in the Blind

i prefer checkraising the flop to calling. it shuts out the middle players, it looks more like a queen (only 1 draw out there), and many observant players (which can include generally bad players) will put you on a deuce, a five, or a pocket pair and subsequently raise the turn when the queen gives them cover. you said your opponent is weak/tight, so it's more difficult to concieve of a situation where he'd call the turn and lose.

operating under the assumption that i had bet the flop:

weak/tight opponent: check/fold. he's unlikely to bet a worse hand if he's truly weak/tight.

loose/aggressive opponent: check/call. getting raised still sucks against them, and you can induce bets from turd hands.

typical semi-loose opponent: bet. they won't bet their 6-outer for you if you check.