Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-29-2005, 02:05 PM

Default 4-flush on turn, bet or check-call?

Just a brief note on the hand. Villain is pretty passive and I'd taken many pots away from him with continuation bets on the flop after a PF raise. I bet the flop for that reason. I bet the turn when I picked up my draw but I debated check-calling because I figured by this point he'd picked up a pair within the calling region. Then again, I can win the pot with any ace or club, so it was a bit borderline. This is a marginal decision in my opinion but one that struck me. Thoughts?

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (3 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 12-29-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: 4-flush on turn, bet or check-call?

Well done.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:47 PM

The only time I would check/call the turn here is if BB habitually calls on the flop but loves to raise on the turn. There are a good number of players who do just that. In that case, check-calling is the superior play.

Against normal opponents though, I think betting this turn is right. In general you have a good measure of folding equity. It's very difficult for him to continue without a Q or J. He might have one, but it's more likely that he doesn't. If he does and you get raised, you have outs and can probably pull off a river checkraise for good measure.

I think you played it fine.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:45 PM

I also thing so, you got outs for calling, so, go ahead and bet.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:53 PM

Looks good here. Like Dave said, there are certain players where checking behind on the turn and calling 1 on the river is the better play, but this doesn't look like that type of player.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:22 PM

Bet for fold equity
Old 12-29-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time I would check/call the turn here is if BB habitually calls on the flop but loves to raise on the turn. There are a good number of players who do just that. In that case, check-calling is the superior play.

Against normal opponents though, I think betting this turn is right. In general you have a good measure of folding equity. It's very difficult for him to continue without a Q or J. He might have one, but it's more likely that he doesn't. If he does and you get raised, you have outs and can probably pull off a river checkraise for good measure.

I think you played it fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet for fold equity

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-30-2005, 08:09 PM

I lead the turn to give him a chance to fold.

You have plenty of nut outs to call his raise, plus the A outs may be good enough.

Chk fold the river UI.