Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 03:11 PM

Default $22 180 hand, calling on all streets.

Villian is very active and aggressive, but not quite in a maniacal way. He raises hands like K7s from MP and will continuation bet all streets when he misses.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) converter

BB (t4470)
UTG (t1230)
UTG+1 (t1640)
MP1 (t1325)
MP2 (t13250)
Hero (t3830)
CO (t870)
Button (t2295)
SB (t5465)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t150, Hero calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t750) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t600</font>, Hero calls t600, SB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (t1950) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t600</font>, Hero calls t600.

River: (t3150) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t1200</font>, Hero calls t1200.

Final Pot: t5550
Old 12-23-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: $22 180 hand, calling on all streets.

why not raise preflop?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why not raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell me. This is why I post hands here. So people can tell me what I may have done wrong, if anything. My standard raise here is about 750. If reraised or limp reraised I have to fold and I've essentially turned my AQo into 72o. If only called a CB will commit almost my entire stack on the flop if missed. If I catch a A or Q and there's been no raise I will most likely win a big pot from someone that is outkicked. That's my reason, maybe it's wrong. I will raise AKo everytime and maybe AQs here.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:34 PM

I'm raising this up pre-flop. No sense in getting out-flopped by worse hands. (Incidentally, running a three-street bluff IS manaical.)

If I accidentally called, given your description of this player, it's an interesting line. My main criticism is that this is one drawlicious baord, and even if you are ahead right now, there is no guarantee that you will stay that way. (Do you REALLY want to hit two pair here?)

When villain bets t600 (again), I'm taking this pot down with a hefty raise. The pot is half your stack and well-worth winning.

On the river, the question is how confident you are that you are going to win a show-down. I think that if you were ahead on the flop, you are probably still ahead, though it sounds like a weird two-pair is entirely possible. I suppose a call is good, but I would have like a bit more aggression earlier in the hand.

Sam
Old 12-23-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why not raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell me. This is why I post hands here. So people can tell me what I may have done wrong, if anything. My standard raise here is about 750. If reraised or limp reraised I have to fold and I've essentially turned my AQo into 72o. If only called a CB will commit almost my entire stack on the flop if missed. If I catch a A or Q and there's been no raise I will most likely win a big pot from someone that is outkicked. That's my reason, maybe it's wrong. I will raise AKo everytime and maybe AQs here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG+1 limp-reraised you you couldn't possibly fold given his stack size.
If MP2 reraises you you have to think about calling based on the image you've portrayed him as having.
A preflop raise is a pretty simple "raise when you think you have the best hand" play.
Otherwise, I like the line against a goober-ish villain like the one you described.