Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Any winning 200 nl+ players want to help me with something?

[ QUOTE ]
watch me play entire sessions

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like coaching to me [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 04:16 PM

A month ago I moved up to $200 NL on party. I lost 6 buy-ins in a week and moved back to $100 NL to re-evaluate my play. I found, for one thing, that my bluff continuation bets were getting called a lot more at $200 than at $100. I was playing about 19% V$VIP, 8% PFR, and 5 Tot Aggr.

When I moved down, I found that $50 NL 6-max had a lot of loose passives so I played that and full ring $100 NL. The experience of finding ways to deal with frequent calls with TPWK and 2nd button at $50 NL was very useful. For example, I've started limping from LP with mid-suited connectors as a primary tactic and raising with them as secondary one - only after establishing a tight table image. Previously I would raise any suited connector or semi-connector and continuation bet from LP every time I got one. In general, I've been working on hand reading and value betting instead of just playing multiple tables on TAG-bet-my-own-cards-auto-pilot like I had been when I was losing at NL $200.

In the last 3 weeks I've built back everything I lost at $200, and last night I went back to the $200. I started out nut peddling at 2-tables and won $100 (about 12% V$PIP and 3% PFR for the session!).

I figure that I'll nut-peddle until I don't get action, then change gears slowly until I do. Tighten up, rinse and repeat.

My problem a month ago was trying to force bad hands early in a session without having established any kind of solid table image. So, for example, I would raise 56s in LP every time I had a hand like that, continuation bet every time I'm checked to regardless of the flop, and often bet the turn with air if I had been called on the flop. That just turned out to be chip spewing.

So, although I don't expect to be super tight nit for my entire poker career, I am going to try being a nit at $200 at the start of each session and only change gears once I've build up a super-tight image and won a few hands. Then I'll start raising more in LP with suited connectors and such, hoping to win small pots because players have come to expect me to have at least a big pair when I raise or cb, and then maybe stack somebody when I flop or turn a concealed straight against 2-pair or a set.

To sumarize, maybe you should try being super tight for a while at the start of each session.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:01 PM

for some reason my post got cut off at the end, all i said was "as for your suggestions however, I have taken a buncha breaks and had people look over entire sessions and watch me play".

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like coaching to me

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh well, they are guys that i've talked poker with for quite a while and we're pretty cool now so they are willing to do it free of charge. But yeah it's pretty much me getting coached. It would be like if your friend asked you for opinion on a few hands and you gave him advice, it would just be something you're doing helping a friend out.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:06 PM

Albert, very nice post.

About being really tight at the start of each session, yeah one of my friends told me I needed to start focusing on what my table image was and how others played according to it. Due to this, I played tight at first and then would open up my game and use what I knew about the opponents to my advantage. This works fine and all but then i'll just get stacked in a hand that i'll check with others on and be told that I played it fine.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:17 PM

Look at the bright side. Historically brutal runs rarely happen. Hopefully you have gotten yours out of the way now...
Old 12-16-2005, 09:15 PM

How bad over the 60k?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:43 PM

Python,

Don't play poker at all for at least a week, and preferably two weeks or a month. Don't even think about it. Do something else. It's a lot easier to break out of a rut if you're starting fresh. Even if you think you're playing perfectly, you're not, and it's probably unconscious differences in your game that make it harder to break out. The only way to get rid of these unconscious problems is to stop playing for a good period of time.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you want coaching for free !

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, players chat about poker strategy all the time. Me posting hands on this board and getting someone to give advice is the same as what would be going on over AIM. Do we pay to get advice on this board?

[ QUOTE ]
why not just post your trouble hands? More than happy to help on 2+2

[/ QUOTE ]
Because I worry that if I posted my hands in this forum asking for advice i'd just be told to stop spamming.... seeing as how most players I talk to on AIM who are good tell me "theres nothing really you can do, just seems like variance". I did however post a few hands from my session the other day in the appropriate forum (bad beats and variance):

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if any winning high stakes players would play poker on my account and let me keep the money. I don't want to be bothered playing myself and not only don't I want to pay for coaching I don't want to waste my time with it. Just hook me up yo.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:53 PM

Not sure if I'm a high stakes player since I've never played higher than 5/10 but I'd be happy to play on your account and let you keep all the winnings. PM me your logon info.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Python,

Don't play poker at all for at least a week, and preferably two weeks or a month. Don't even think about it. Do something else. It's a lot easier to break out of a rut if you're starting fresh. Even if you think you're playing perfectly, you're not, and it's probably unconscious differences in your game that make it harder to break out. The only way to get rid of these unconscious problems is to stop playing for a good period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. I know that I certainly wouldnt be able to play an A game after taking those beats in any space of time that stayed in my memory.