Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-13-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: DON\'T KILL TOOKIE

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I am sure killing Tookie will prevent people from joining gangs and commiting crimes! Yeah for the death penalty. Only in America could a criminal nominated for the Noble Peace prize be executed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is more expensive to execute someone than it is to feed him.

[/ QUOTE ]I know.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: This bloodlust is sickening

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's fine, then keep them there. I have no complains, although I think the message Tookie put out probably helped save a life or two, so why not encourage it (not that you were saying not to, just saying it's a positive).

[/ QUOTE ]

?????
Is it your thoughts that the crips were not formed to terrorize the community, to sell drugs, sell women, and to kill if necessary?????

[/ QUOTE ]are you serious????
Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 PM

U.S.A., be same of you! I can't understand why we, the civilizide people, are patient with you. I want to apologize in the good americans (and before all - the good people) who steel figthing in bad contitions and in "demogracy" only in word: be brave and steel fighting... Let God rest TOOKIE. "Let it be" the last victim.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:11 PM

I'm not for outright execution of just anyone I have pay to feed, but letting them starve might be an appealing proposition.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
U.S.A., be same of you! I can't understand why we, the civilizide people, are patient with you. I want to apologize in the good americans (and before all - the good people) who steel figthing in bad contitions and in "demogracy" only in word: be brave and steel fighting... Let God rest TOOKIE. "Let it be" the last victim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Tookie's soul is resting easier thanks to your heart-felt (and confusing) post.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:15 PM

Default A Short Film About Killing

A Short Film About Killing

An opportune time to watch this. It's not too long and it doesn't have car chases or aliens. It's about a man killing another man and then being put to death himself. It's about two killings.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:40 PM

Default I would probably shoot Tookie myself

[ QUOTE ]
The victim's families wanted him put to death and that is all that matters. They are the only ones with any say in this matter.

[/ QUOTE ]Correct - that actually used to be the human sustem of justice, once upon a time. It was tribal justice, when we were moving around in tribes, or settling down to hunt and gather.

We are supposed to have progressed a bit beyond that.

Clear about one thing : If Mr Tookie had harmed one of my loved ones, I would probably be out there looking for blood - his blood. Which is precisely why, in such an eventuality, I should not be allowed to be the one deciding his fate. That should be left to impartial (as impartial as humanly possible) people, chosen from the community.

People who argue otherwise, i.e. people who want to see swift and most severe punishment all around (there have been people here who would fit right in, in Saudi Arabia), these people forget the myriad of benefits that the western system of justice provides for the western democracy's citizens. (When it's libertarians, moreover, which are arguing for tribal justice, the spectacle is amusing.)

On the other hand, there is fast and loose talk here (and this is a mantra often repeated by legal scholars) about Justice having "nothing to do with revenge". This is true enough but it should always be complimented by this observation: Justice is done when the community/society/us accept the punishment as commeasurate to the crime committed. If the punishment is not appropriate, if it does not "fit the crime", society's attachment to the laws (which society created, too) gets weaker. And that is not progress at all.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: I would probably shoot Tookie myself

Cyrus:

I agree with you completely.

Yours in perplexity,

bobman0330
Old 12-14-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not for outright execution of just anyone I have pay to feed, but letting them starve might be an appealing proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you have no problem allowing a group of children, born to an impoverished mother who relies on welfare to feed her family, to starve to death?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: This bloodlust is sickening

<<<1000 people on death row* ($61.58 a day * 365 days/year))/20,851,820 Texans= $1.08 per year to the taxpayer.>>

I could buy a coke with that. Or almost half a gallon of gas. Let me keep my money. Pull the switch.
Les