Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Well, I\'ve come this far... blind play, $55s

[ QUOTE ]
lol, sorry, i misunderstood the purpose of your post...then again, what is the purpose of this post? jsut wondering?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a valid question. I was curious if anyone would take the time to think about his bets sizings and what they mean.

He walks a fine line between convincing me he has something and inducing me to come along and find out. I'm not in love with this hand, but it happened, so I figured I'd throw it out there for you all. Lately I've been really pushing the bounds of marginality out of the blinds with mixed and interesting results.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol, sorry, i misunderstood the purpose of your post...then again, what is the purpose of this post? jsut wondering?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a valid question. I was curious if anyone would take the time to think about his bets sizings and what they mean.

He walks a fine line between convincing me he has something and inducing me to come along and find out. I'm not in love with this hand, but it happened, so I figured I'd throw it out there for you all. Lately I've been really pushing the bounds of marginality out of the blinds with mixed and interesting results.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a fellow "play from the blinds" guy, doesn't this logic make more sense in a deeper stack game?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:02 PM

I just logged my first 50 $55s and am reading all the posts i can regarding play on the $55s. What have you found playing these sorts of hands...honestly, i dont know if i have the stones to play it...
Old 12-09-2005, 03:45 PM

Default thoughts

Yes, Scuba, deep stacks would make this kind of play much more palatable.

Villian overbets the pot on the flop in position on a raggedy board. I'm always curious what they have in these cases, but don't often get a chance to find out. My theory is that it's air a lot more than I think. As per my mission to explore things from the blind, I called. I'm not thrilled about calling with the BB left to act, but I did it anyways. He folded. Good. On to the turn.

Turn bricks again. I think leading this turn is a good play with a predictable villian. Most people aren't calling or raising a bet with air at this point. This is likely a preferable line compared to the one I choose, and I should have done so.

However, I checked, prepared to fold if needed. If our villian was bluffing the flop, there's a decent chance he checks behind on the turn and gives up unimproved. Sometimes he'll fire another barrel, and often he'll bet for value. The 2/3 pot bet was a tough one. Any more, I'm folding. Much less, I'm calling. 2/3 is sketchy. I probably should have folded the turn. But sticking with my read that those flop bets are often nada and the likelihood that the turn didn't help him, I called.

His river bet was again on the weak side, and I only have to be good here 1 in 4 times to show a profit on the call. After donking it up the previous streets, the pot was big enough to go for it one more time on the river.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 PM

Sorry did you just call off a third of your stack with bottom pair? Also fold preflop n00b, especially if you're prone to these kind of call down fits!

ARMAGEDDON!!!

Also this quote is funny:

[ QUOTE ]

He's obviously aware that this play is unorthodox. Postflop play is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-09-2005, 04:00 PM

Villian's line looks like one I would take if I had a hand that I thought was good until the river card fell. Either a slow-played pp that didn't want to chase you out pf or junk that hit 2 pr or something similar on the flop. Bet small enough to keep you in, large enough to get a nice pile o' your chips.

These all look like value bets to me, I'd be really surprised if he were betting a high card.

Regards

Gar

Oh, yeah, I'd have raised or folded the flop bet, I think. If I raised and he calls, I'm definitely folding to any turn bet.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: thoughts

my only thought is that you were playing this hand to gain info on positional raises and playing from the blinds...i thought you were hoping to get to the showdown cheap and see what the villian was holding...hoping to win, but more looking to learn...

now, after reading this post, i dont think you were doing that anymore...if you were playing to extract info, you lost 1/3 of ur stack to get that info...if thats cool with you, then great job, you got what you wanted...otherwise, i would say horrible, horrible stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 PM

Gar,

The problem with raising the flop is that a lot of loose players will pretty much always call your raise. Then you're out of position on the turn in a big pot with no idea where you're at.

One more comment on the hand. There are players that you just know will bet this flop 100% of the time when everyone checks. I would feel much better about my play of the hand if I knew this guy to be one of those villians, but I did not have that read at the time.