Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #2

the bet/call/pot numbers are interesting

curtains bet 45 then sb raised to 72.5 then curtains called 30 more to be putting in 75, or 2.5 more than sb

72.5+75+15(bb)=162.50, which is what the hand says the pot is...so why did party make curtains pay 75?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 PM

Curtain's line allows him to extract the maxium number of chips from AK/AQ, donk hands, while losing the least amount of chips to an overpair. Not many 215s are going to be firing a 2nd barrel on the turn with AK/AQ. If the villian checks the turn on a blank curtains is certainly ahead, if he fires another barrel curtains can fold losing the minimum. He losses less chips this way then if he raises the flop and the villian pushes.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:42 PM

because the hh converter is messed up, there can't be .5s anyway
Old 12-09-2005, 12:42 PM

The converter thinks the SB was 7.5 and not 10, so it got all screwy.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:49 PM

What would you do if the villian bet another 125 on the turn?

Assuming it is below a J.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of asking general questions like this it would be better if you had an opinion to offer yourself. Or to put it another way, why are you asking this question?

A reasonable answer to your question would be to say that if villain bets 125 on the turn then curtains will make a decision based on the information available to him, in other words he will play poker.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of asking general questions like this it would be better if you had an opinion to offer yourself. Or to put it another way, why are you asking this question?

A reasonable answer to your question would be to say that if villain bets 125 on the turn then curtains will make a decision based on the information available to him, in other words he will play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, we have all the information available; what's the play?

I don't see why you decided to criticize someone for asking a very valid question here.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:58 PM

Yeah I was a little confused too. I know how I would play at $22s and $33s. I would be willing to invest my chips because of how people play overcards in those games.

I was interested to hear a response about $215s though..
Old 12-09-2005, 01:02 PM

This is interesting because I think a number of players will check where Curtains does, thinking either that this is a way ahead-way behind and they should call down in order to maximize their wins and minimize their losses and I think some people check here because they think if villian was bluffing, he's unlikely to throw out a second bluff after you flat call.

I think Curtains is thinking the latter.

Did the converter screw up? I think villian reraised to 75.

I think it's close. I think there's merit to protecting your hand from a likely c-bet from overcards, but the minraise preflop could mean bigger pockets and not going broke with JJ in level 1 is a good idea too.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's close. I think there's merit to protecting your hand from a likely c-bet from overcards, but the minraise preflop could mean bigger pockets and not going broke with JJ in level 1 is a good idea too.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the other things that checking behind can frequently accomplish is to slow up, say, QQ, since curtains has certainly played this in a way that's consistent with an overpair. I can also imagine in some cases that KK and AA will slow up on the turn to induce a bet from curtains - they might try and give the impression that they were firing with AK on the flop, in other words. So it can be a more general pot control move that will let him go all the way with a potentially smaller pot. If villain fires out again on turn, then there's a tough decision ahead, but I think he frequently won't.