Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Rake Back
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Help me figure out a solution to this...

OK, say I have a 100% RB deal with a VERY small site.
(At any given time there is 1-2 tables per limit from 1/2 - 5/10)(yes this is a propping stuation, so I cant give out any specific details)

Is it worth playing a very VERY tight game at 5/10 even if im not completely rolled for it yet? Just for the RB? To put the RB in persepctive, it's about 3BB per table hour, dealt hands, not played. I would be decently rolled for 5/10 full time in about 30 days and wouldnt have worry anymore, so it's not going to be a long term thing, (playing under-rolled) a period of about 10K hands at most, as long as im breaking even, since I dont have to worry about beating the rake, I think its pretty safe, just a bit worried because Ive pounded bankroll management into my head since day one.

I know that I shouldnt play under rolled, and it's not like Im inexperienced, I just use poker money for a lot of stuff and havent given back to my bankroll as much as others do, I was pretty comfortable with my usual limit, but with he amount of RB im missing not playing 5/10, I need to get there...and quick. Im sure I can compete in these games with my normal style, but I just dont want to hit any kind of major downswing while attempting this.

The only reason im being antsy is it would take me 4X more time to get to my bankroll goal playing my standard game...even 3 tabling at about 1.5BB/100, I dont know whats going to happen in those 4 months, I may have to pull money out, with winter coming my furnace might take a crap on me, or my car might need work...ect, ect. (The exact reason I need to get into 5/10, to start a nice savings for things like this)

I was thinking about doing 1 table of 5/10 full ring, playing squeaky tight, plus one of my normal 2/4 shorthanded games. A lot of these 5/10 games are the same guys I play now, they are just rolled to multitable 5/10 along with my games. (Very few tables to choose from)They play decent, but I dont feel they're significantly any better than me. If I can clear this kind of money in a full-ring game at about 30-35$ an hour, playing break even tightassed poker, I think its worth the short period of risk, then I can play my normal aggro game at 5/10.

What do you guys think? Go for it, Maybe think about 3/6 instead for 2 months or so? or play it safe for the 4 months?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Help me figure out a solution to this...

[ QUOTE ]
dealt hands, not played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Don't you have to be playing to be dealt cards?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:30 AM

By "not played" he means even on the hands he folds preflop and doesn't contribute any money towards the rake he still earns the rakeback. Some sites calculate your rake based on the rake they take from hands you won, while with his deal he could fold every single hand and still earn the 3bb/100 rakeback.

As far as the original question it's hard to give a good answer without any specific numbers for your bankroll. If you're way under-rolled, like $500, I don't think there's any way you sould attempt the 5/10 games until you build yourself up higher. If you're under-rolled more in the ballpark of $2k you would probably be fine since most propping payments are made weekly so you could handle a 200bb downswing your first week.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the propping sites require you to play extremely shorthanded, 2-3 players, which will increase your variance even more. I'm not sure if this applies to your case though.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:52 AM

It does....And Im in the 1500 range on the bankroll. I try to stay away from the higher limits when Im playing 3-4 handed. I'll stay at 1/2 or 2/4 for that. I just want to play some tight 5/10 7-8 handed. I think im just going to go for it. I think if I just stick to 1 table of it and dont play less than 6 players at a table I should be fine for the 30 days. If anyone else has some suggestions or insight on this, let me know.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:16 PM

wrong forum
Old 12-03-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wrong forum

[/ QUOTE ]
Really...I thought a rakeback question belonged in the...umm....rakeback...forum...God I have so much to learn.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wrong forum

[/ QUOTE ]
Really...I thought a rakeback question belonged in the...umm....rakeback...forum...God I have so much to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

most of that post had to do with the size of the roll needed to play a tight s/h 5-10 game, maybe the word rakeback was in there...but the people here are going to be much less able to help you (IMO) than people in SSHE

gl