Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: $55: A3s in the BB level 2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Our villian has not voluntarily put money into the pot for the first 15 hands of the STT.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet, now, he limps KQ or QJ from the CO?

"You're not making any sense"

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is he hasn't played a hand outside his blinds for 1.5 levels. This doesn't mean he plays well, nor does it mean he plays aggressively. All I can really infer is that he's tightish.

If KQ and QJ aren't possible open limping hands, what would be?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Our villian has not voluntarily put money into the pot for the first 15 hands of the STT.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet, now, he limps KQ or QJ from the CO?

"You're not making any sense"

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is he hasn't played a hand outside his blinds for 1.5 levels. This doesn't mean he plays well, nor does it mean he plays aggressively. All I can really infer is that he's tightish.

If KQ and QJ aren't possible open limping hands, what would be?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we have to debate whether he even has these hands and haven't even moved on to whether he will CALL with these hands (I doubt he does if he's tight) then this is probably not a good play. Lead the river. This way you can get away from a push if need be and extract the price you set, not that he sets.

Eh, just looked at stack sized again, folding to a push is probably pretty bad without a really strong read. But on the bright side, since you bet the flop your hand is well disguised. Rock on.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:45 AM

Default my thought process for this hand

Preflop: CO, who has not played a hand yet, open limps. Odd. Possible range includes pockets pairs, AK-AT, KQ, maybe KJ or QJ or suited broadways.

Flop. Nice, nut flush draw. SB checks, tightish CO left behind. I'll bet and try to pick up 90 chips with A high. CO calls. Hmmm. He's been tight, so I would guess he's not calling with a hand like AT, AJ, etc. He doesn't have the A of [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so calling on a draw seems unlikely. Possible range at this point includes anything with a Q, a middle pair like 99 or TT, maybe a set, possibly AK.

Turn: Yay, my hand just keeps getting better. If he has AK or AQ, he's probably going to pop me if I lead. That would suck. However, AK and AQ are a small portion of the range I listed above. I should bet. I bet. He calls. Hmm...

River: Good times. I'm still a bit uneasy about a passively played AK or AQ, but my first instinct was to make a value bet. If he pushed, I could probably fold comfortably. Then I checked [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] If he had bet something that looked strong like 3/4 pot, I would have just called. But I think the 100 chip bet into a 460 chip pot pretty much announces his hand... it announces "I don't have the case A." If I was in his spot, I would damn sure make a strong value bet versus a big stack who has plenty of chips to pay me off.

So now what? I could make a smallish c/r that might get paid off, but that's going to look like I really want to be called. Villian has like 600 behind at this point. I've played this hand a bit wierdly, my image isn't spectacular, I think there's a chance he calls my push.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: my thought process for this hand

[ QUOTE ]
Then I checked [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

When your only justification for your play is a smiley graphic, it's typically not a good thing.

[ QUOTE ]
If he had bet something that looked strong like 3/4 pot, I would have just called. But I think the 100 chip bet into a 460 chip pot pretty much announces his hand... it announces "I don't have the case A." If I was in his spot, I would damn sure make a strong value bet versus a big stack who has plenty of chips to pay me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not him. Remember that. Lots of people want to milk here with a better hand than you. Having said that, if I did get to the river in this weird way a c/r all-in is meh. It's not terrible, but I really feel like you don't get paid off enough by worse hands despite the fact that he has a worse hand more often than not.

So yeah, lead the river, looks like you know that now. But even at the river I probably just call without a read against a tight player although a c/r isn't horrrrible.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really think AQ bets 100 on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

A player who's played the whole hand passively and hasn't played a hand for the first 15 hands of the tournament, I don't want to bust myself against a likely tight-passive.

I am leading the river and folding to any raise.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:25 PM

Some good points were made, all, thanks for the feedback.

On the river, our villian went into the tank and finally folded before time ran out. He typed "I know you don't have an A, but that's ok" and then folded. This reinforces the notion that a tighty like this will either have me beat or have serious trouble paying off the c/r. Value betting the river is much better line, especially if I feel I can fold to a raise.