Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-16-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: PROPOSAL (this affects you guys, please read): mid- and high- foru

[ QUOTE ]
pokerbob? but he still posts here from time to time. just not hands so much.

josh and dave don't post much in here anymore... but they definitely just float around...

i feel like this deserves an in-depth investigation because i don't have enough to do today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of PokerBob, who is a funny and interesting guy who used to be a very active presence here and now has basically vanished to Mid-, High-.

Josh and Dave are great and definitely still make contributions.

QTip, among others, has recently come back to the forum and we are all the wealthier for it.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QTip, among others, has recently come back to the forum and we are all the wealthier for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had thought about making a gimmick account named Cottonball at one point but never could bring myself to follow through. I'm just not very gimmick-talented.

- Jim
Old 11-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: PROPOSAL (this affects you guys, please read): mid- and high- forums

[ QUOTE ]
It's a shame that the high stakes people have become too snobby to lower themselves to commenting on the lower end of the spectrum, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some I think it's genuine arrogance; for others, I think they just get tired of rehashing things, particularly when generally confident and brash people insist on being proven wrong. That gets tiresome, and, after a while, one wonders why they should bother helping someone so argumentative.

But I think the intent with the split is a good one. The jump to 15/30+ is a tough one. Today I was talking to a very good player who is making the jump from 10/20 6-max to 20/40 on Party and he said that 20/40 is much more aggressive, which might be surprising to people here who see the 10/20 short games and consider that texture to be near maniacal.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had thought about making a gimmick account named Cottonball at one point but never could bring myself to follow through. I'm just not very gimmick-talented.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, EarAche is clearly the right gimmick account for QTip.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think "WaxyBuildUp" is a bit better, in my opinion.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think "WaxyBuildUp" is a bit better, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: PROPOSAL (this affects you guys, please read): mid- and high- forums

I'm grunching everything that happened after the first 20 replies. So if I say something that was covered already on page 2 (or whatever page it is for you), oh well.

I have posted a few 15/30 hands on MH, but for the most part I just post here. I've skimmed through MH a bit as well, but I certainly can't say that I "know" any of the regular posters there. So take my 2 cents for what they're worth.

Anyway, if you ask me (and you did, indirectly), I think the problem lies with the regular posters on the MH forum. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to provide what insight I can to a question posted here concerning a 1/2 or even .50/1 hand. It's really no big deal--you preface your post with something like "this should be posted in the microlimit forum and it's been a while since I played at this limit, but...". Simple. I don't think that the answer to a few regular posters apparently feeling it is beneath them to type "standard" or "nice hand" in reply to a 15/30 hand is to create a whole new forum, and shuffle around the existing ones. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

As others have said, we get all kinds of posts on SS regarding all kinds of limits (and quite a few no-limits). Some people don't like this because they feel it clutters the board. I do like it, because I think it creates an open atmosphere which encourages people to bring up new topics. If a particular thread really does contain something worthy of a lengthy discussion, it generally gets it.

If it is decided to divide the limit forums even further, what I think you'll end up with is less meaningful discussion on each board, with the regular posters (in particular, those who feel the SS forum is now too cluttered) now having to skim through two forums instead of just 1. Even though I no longer play at 15/30, I enjoy reading the odd thread on here about a hand played at that limit (and being able to discuss it with familiar screennames). I've also seen some very good discussions develop out of 1/2 hands which were posted on SS.

However, if it makes those playing 100/200 happy, I can see redefining "small" and "mid-high" to better focus the traffic. If any new forum should be created, it should be a Nano format...something along the lines of:

Nano: play money - .10/.20
Micro: .25/.50 - 2/4
Small: 3/6 - 20/40
Mid/High: 30/60 & up

Keeping in mind that I've never played above 15/30, that's where it seems like the big dividing lines are drawn in terms of overall game play. At least on Party.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 PM

Split sounds good to me. 2/4 would probably be better off in micros (I thought that while I was slogging through it and still do) and appropriate live hands 15/30, 10/20 etc should continue to be discussed in SS as well.

Good idea, sounds like it would benefit the forums in general and keep relevant threads around a little longer in my strategy forum of choice.