Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Betting with a rough 9

UB 5/10 2-7 TD
Action player just left so I'm wrapping it up Folded to me on the button with 862xx, I raise BB, who I think is slightly on tilt calls.
He draws 2, I draw 2.
(Pot 4.5 SB)
I get 98642, He bets I call
He draws 1, I stand pat
(Pot 3.25 BB)
He checks, I bet he calls
He draws 1, I stand pat
(Pot 5.25 BB)
He checks, I bet

Is this a profitable bet? Is a smoother 9 ever folding here? My thinking was that I can get calls from some tens or maybe worse hands that think I'm snowing. Also he's unlikely to have an 8 since he would most likely bet it on the end. Should I be checking this through? That is my standard play normally, but I wanted to try mixing it up.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Betting with a rough 9

[ QUOTE ]
He bets I call
He draws 1, I stand pat

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's smart, he should be able to figure out that you have a rough nine because of how you played that street. (You'd raise with any better pat hand, right?)

That being said, lots people love to look you up "just in case". Have you ever seen this guy call someone who stood pat with something random on the end? Some guys do it often, some never. Against a "typical" opponent I think you get called by a worse hand more often then you get called (or check raised) by a better hand. Maybe you'll even get called by 98652.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Yeah i figured my hand was fairly obvious after i failed to raise after the 1st draw. I did see this guy contemplate several calls on the end and I think he called with a King at one point against another player.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:18 PM

Ha, I think this was me and I think I called with a worse hand. I've been playing so bad lately.

Anyway, yeah, I agree with your reasoning.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:37 PM

If that was you, you were getting really beat up, didn't notice too many horrible mistakes, but I did see you go 3 bets and fold to a cap after the 2nd draw. It seemed like you weren't hitting your draws and everyone else was hitting on you, but you were getting super lag, like getting way too aggressive OOP after you brick.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i figured my hand was fairly obvious after i failed to raise after the 1st draw. I did see this guy contemplate several calls on the end and I think he called with a King at one point against another player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on only that information I think you have to bet.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:00 PM

Ok thanks for the replies guys, he thought for a long time and finally called with a T6. MHIG. I've been trying to ramp up my aggression on the end and figured this may have been a good time to try it, but afterwards wasn't so sure.