Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Pot Limit Question

Does the less than 10bb push and double up at all costs rule appy a PL particulary when you cant get your stack all in preflop?

Was playing the $20 PL on PS last night was down to 8bb's J10 UTG+1, tight table so in NL here I push if I get the blinds great if not I reckon I have 2 clean cards. In this situation though I could only get in 50% of my stack, which means if anyone raises me all in I am going to get 3-1 odds on my 2nd 50% and I am calling anyway.

But this got me thinking should you be a touch more patient at PL and wait a little longer before going into maniac mode?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Pot Limit Question

Shameless bump.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:11 PM

I think it just turns it into a stop-n-go if you get one opponent.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the less than 10bb push and double up at all costs rule appy a PL particulary when you cant get your stack all in preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think 10BB is fine to play with - i think 6-7 is the push at all costs area. This is probably site dependant though, because in some the blinds are constantly behind the average stack and sometimes you're given more room to breathe.

As far as PL, I don't think you'll get much expert advice on it from anywhere. I've not played a PL multi since that accidental PL Omaha 50/5 buy a year ago... I hope someone knows what's going on. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 01:33 PM

I'm not pushing JTo from UTG w/ 10BB's, you still have lots of stack to play with.

That being said, you can raise to 3.5BB's to go PF in PL, so when I have ~7BB's, I raise PF for the max, and you opponents should know you are going to the felt.

You shouldn't be in maniac mode in NL w/ 10BB's, you just have one move, all in, buy you still have enough stack to pick good spots, whcih JTo UTG is not.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-02-2005, 01:46 PM

I did say less than, I had 8 so two hands to go before having 7, would you push then? Maybe I am getting too over manic at this point.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did say less than, I had 8 so two hands to go before having 7, would you push then? Maybe I am getting too over manic at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miissed that.

Yeah, JTo is meh, but ultra-meh UTG.

Even with the blinds coming next hand, that one's in the muck.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-02-2005, 01:52 PM

OK is somthing for me to review, once I am getting down to 10 and less I am maybe moving too quick, maybe not adjusting after playing sng's, the difference between full table/sh normally have in sng's.

Edit

As it happens on this one was raised all in by a tight player, who was called by an even tighter one, felt I had to call getting 5-1 with 50% of my stack in 99vAA I went out.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:55 PM

Yeah, full table kills the value of K,Q,J high hands.

Postition is more important than the cards for me when I'm open pushing w/ 7ish BB's, unless I have a good hand then , then it goes in from anywhere.

If I can open push twice in LP and not get called, I'm back up to 10BB"s and I can afford to be patient again looking for a double up opportunity.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-02-2005, 05:09 PM

There is no question you should be more patient in PL. In NL moving in with J 10 UTG is ok cause you can get a better hand to fold (though I don't suggest that play either). You have chips to wait a little longer, I would hope to find a better hand or spot to make this play and J 10 UTG doesn't fall into either catagory.