Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 11:56 AM

Default typical situation where I still dont\' know what I like

Party 30/60, typical tight regular raises utg. Folded to you in the small blind and you have TT. Who likes doing what?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: typical situation where I still dont\' know what I like

Recently I generally re-raise, not so much as I am sure I have the best hand, but I want to knock the BB out; and get heads up with UTG.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:04 PM

Well, if our range for him is AK, AQ, AJs. 99+. Then I think we should 3-bet. It will help us define his range a little more. Our 3-bet from the SB speaks a lot of strength so if were capped we can assume we are behind to AA KK QQ. I think the 3-bet just gives us a little more info that might save us bets on future streets against a regular tight player.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:07 PM

Definitly a 3 bet IMO. It knocks out the BB, and will help us define UTG's hand later on. If you can establish there is a good chance that he has a higher pair, you will save more than the extra money you invest preflop by not losing to much on raggedy boards.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:07 PM

TT is right on the borderline for me, but I usually 3-bet. Especially against a looser raiser or with a loose big blind I 3-bet. Since I'm out of position I like to take the lead and take it down before the river.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 PM

Though I understand why conventional wisdom is to 3-bet here, I actually think it's easier to play by just calling. First, this is online so the BB is mor elikely to fold to the raise anyway. Second, if he plays and you flop favorably, you can checkraise the button who will bet any flop like 100% of the time and put him in the middle for two bets. If you 3-bet and they both call and the flop comes with overs you are probably going to spray a bit in this big pot you've created. If BB drops to your reraise, you will bet most flops and he can prob play perfectly against you.

The big advantage of 3-betting pre (besides poss. getting BB out) is having the betting lead in a heads up spot. If you both miss, he may fold now but you wouldn't win the pot if you hadn't reraised. Though online, I find there is less advantage to this and they will peel with most anything and the turn will be a tough spot.

So...rambling done. I like to call here, reraise sometimes.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party 30/60, typical tight regular raises utg. Folded to you in the small blind and you have TT. Who likes doing what?

[/ QUOTE ]

i like a raise.

are you 3betting here with AK? AQs? 99? JJ? KK? QQ? AA? i believe 99 is a call but an argument can be made for 3betting to take control and make JJ/TT fold on unfavorable flops. UTG's range is key here obviously and if you just call TT, you likely give up some equity vs. a range here and the benefits you get from "disguising" you hand are hard to take advantage of due to the likely contents of a flop.

id prefer to put more money in now and take control to get the BB out as well who m ay now call with Q5s or KJ where if you 3bet those hands will likely fold (and if they dont, they are now paying a bb to come in)

so in general i like a 3bet.

Barron
Old 10-31-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm not sure what the best play for online is, because I dont have enough history with players I play with online, and I dont have a stat program, so I can only give my live opinion, because my online decision would typically depend on how UTG has played up to that point. That being said, I really like a three bet because I'm usually ahead here, and I think that isolating UTG is key.

Now, how do you proceed if UTG caps PF?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:47 PM

3-bet unless BB is fairly loose postflop
Old 10-31-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Though I understand why conventional wisdom is to 3-bet here, I actually think it's easier to play by just calling.

[/ QUOTE ]
What other hands do you call in this situation? I'd be worried that calling makes it pretty obvious what you have.