Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 10-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Damn, I need some lasek for my eyes

With Lasik, there's barely any recovery time.

I laid back in the chair, they lasered each eye for 15 seconds each. I sat back up and I could see. Literally.

The first exam where they determine your eligibility took about an hour. The time in the office for surgery took about a half hour, but I was only in the chair about 5 minutes.

Recovery was very fast. There's no pain, but your eyes feel itchy and you can't scratch them. They want you to keep your eyes closed for the next few hours after the surgery, to help the corneal flap to heal. You have to take eye drops for a couple of weeks, and then go in for a follow up exam.

It did not affect my close vision at all, I could see fine close up before and still can. My distance vision is perfect, I have had zero side effects.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:36 PM

I'm 20 and when I take my glasses off while reading 2+2 the screen just looks white. I can't see any colors. Same thing with reading books. I'm -8.5 in both eyes if anybody cares.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:41 PM

Wow, everything I've ever heard about LASIK from optomotrists was that it's bad, execept from doctors who do it. This includes someone who runs a lab/does optometry research at BU. Mainly I've heard there's a risk that problems can develop in the long term (like 20 years from now).
Old 10-21-2005, 02:48 PM

I got Lasik about 9 months ago.

Best investment EVER.

The actual procedure was uncomfortable and painful, but it was short so I could manage.
It did hurt pretty bad afterwards. Blinking my eyes was painful and bright lights hurt as well.
They gave me a sleeping pill afterwards and when I woke up the pain was MUCH less noticable.
The next day I was pain-free.

Having the wear those retarted goggles after the surgery make me feel like a total dork.

Best $2k ever spent.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:58 PM

Did LASEK two months ago, which is essentially PRK, except they reattach the thin flap they cut to provide some extra protection. Vision still ebbs and flows a bit between 20/15 and 20/20, and the eyes are still pretty dry leading me to use drops a lot. Otherwise, it is awesome.

Pricetag from the Army is zero dollars, so that was nice too.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, everything I've ever heard about LASIK from optomotrists was that it's bad, execept from doctors who do it. This includes someone who runs a lab/does optometry research at BU. Mainly I've heard there's a risk that problems can develop in the long term (like 20 years from now).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, optometrists say this? People who make all their income selling glasses don't think Lasik is a good idea? Whoda thunk it?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:09 PM

Best money ever spent. I've never heard anyone who had it done say "I'd rather have kept the money".
Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 PM

I have poor eyesight due to astigmatism, can I correct this through LASIK?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 AM

awesome... I was just thinking about getting my mom done with LASIK and it sounds like it's as good as it gets [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 AM

Not everyone is eligible for Lasik. They can correct some degree of astigmatism, especially with some of the newer technology, but be prepared to pay more for it.

There is an age limit to Lasik, and they are more hesitant to perform it for people approaching 50 because it does not correct farsightedness that is due to aging. They are worried many people will be disappointed when they find out they may still need bifocals after getting Lasik.

My nearsightedness wasn't extreme, but I did wear glasses/contacts all day every day, and they were required for me to drive. I had almost no recovery pain and no side effects from the surgery, but my doctor said based on my pupil size and degree of nearsightedness, I was an ideal candidate for Lasik.