Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Interesting A-5 hand

So I was playing a bit of 2/4 A-5 after a bit of a haitus from the game. Man I forgot how much I enjoy playing low ball. Also this is the first time playing 1-5 in a while as I normally play 2-7. Anyway the following hand came up and I thought it was interesting. Let me know what you think.

It's 5 handed and I'm on the button with 97654. Folded to me I put in a raise. SB folds, BB calls.

1st Draw
Pot is 4.5 SB
Villian draws 4, I decide to stand pat. I'm guessing this is a no brainer, but let me know if you think otherwise.
Villian checks, I bet, he calls.

2nd draw
Pot is 3.25 BB
Villian draws 2, I stand pat. Should i have broke this hand and drawn to a rough 7? Villian checks, I bet he calls.

3d draw
Pot is 5.25 BB
Villian draws 1, I stand pat. Villian has 20 outs against me if he is drawing to an 86. I'm a slight favorite, or am I thinking about this wrong? Villian bets and I call. Obviously this is a terrible call on the end as villian is not bluffing at a pat hand often enough to make the call profitable.

So aside from the atrocious river call anyone play this differently?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Interesting A-5 hand

River call is not attrocious if villain is smart enough to fire when he bricks occasionally.

I would ditch two on the first draw I think. I need to visit the A-5 math some more, but I really hate even drawing to a 7 HU on the first round.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:30 AM

I think you want to at least draw one card here. A 97 isn't winning that much when it gets to showdown.

This is opponent dependant though. If the opponent will fold early when you stay pat (which obviously isn't the case against this opponent), standing pat may be the best line. With this opponent, it seems like he will play the same no matter how you draw. So, you should draw one or two. I'd draw two against a calling station in this spot, but I have no idea how the math actually breaks down against a 4 card draw.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:39 PM

a guy who calls a raise and draws 4 is going to see a couple more draws, so with a 97 in A-5, you should too.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:45 AM

I think you played it just fine except for calling on the end if you knew he would not bluff often enough to make a call profitable on the end. Otherwise, even the call is not outrageous.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a guy who calls a raise and draws 4 is going to see a couple more draws, so with a 97 in A-5, you should too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand, so you're saying I should break the 9 and draw one, or break the 97 and draw 2? Is a 97 just not going to hold up often enough against a guy drawing 4?